Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty carburetor - could it have to do with where I fill up?

Options
  • 08-11-2011 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭

Every 4/5 months I seem to have problems with having a dirty carburetor which leads to the bike cutting out all the time. When I was down at the bike shop yesterday they mentioned it could have to do with the Fuel. I fill up at the same station 90% of the time could it have something to do with that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Fit an inline fuel filter, the pleated paper type, not the plastic mesh.
    You will soon see if you have crap in your tank.
    Most bikes have a fuel filter in the tank as part of the fuel tap assembly it might pay to check and flush the tank out while you are at it.
    Was your bike lying up at any stage? Modern petrol has all kinds of shiyte in it and if it is left in carb for any length of time it can cause problems with residue etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Definately replace/fit the fuel filter. This can happen with you run the tank very low and sludge from the bottom of the tank gets into the carb. The other thing it could be is carb icing if it only occurs on cooler damp days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Have you had the tank off to have a look into it? If you bought 2nd hand you've no idea what could be in the bottom of the tank.

IMO if it was bad fuel it would be more regular then 4/5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

High ethinol content petrol will strip any gunk off the inside of your tank, and send it down into your carb. could be that. is it when you let the fuel level in the tank is very low that it happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Thks for the replies
    Bike is used every weekday to work commute so not sat idle, I bought it new back in 08.
    I do the let the fuel run low so only fill up once a week so maybe I should fill it up more often?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I do the let the fuel run low so only fill up once a week so maybe I should fill it up more often?

Or take the tank off and give it a clean out. Otherwise just don't let it run so low maybe fill up twice a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Del2005 wrote: »
    Or take the tank off and give it a clean out. Otherwise just don't let it run so low maybe fill up twice a week.

Given my poor mechanical knowledge probally the latter option is best :p

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭uncle betty

I've heard that you should avoid filling up just after the tankers have made a delivery, because they stir up whatever muck is inside the service station's storage tanks.

You'd think the newer service stations might have plastic tanks, though.

Advertisement