Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sloe Gin

Options
  • 08-11-2011 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭

For anyone thinking of making sloe gin, the sloes seem to be at perfect ripeness now - at least the were in the Nire Valley at the weekend:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Yeah I was thinking of it earlier on in the year and might do it yet. I made it last year but put to much sugar in. Apparently the best time to pick is straight after the first frost. Presumably the berries start deteriorating after the frost comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

I did mine on sunday, three bottles of it! Tried some cloves in one of them, interested to see if it makes much of a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

malman wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking of it earlier on in the year and might do it yet. I made it last year but put to much sugar in. Apparently the best time to pick is straight after the first frost. Presumably the berries start deteriorating after the frost comes.

I put 150 g sugar per 70cl bottle which is a little less than most recipes.

There was frost at the weekend but I prick the berries, put them in a bottle and freeze the bottle before adding the other ingredients.
    I did mine on sunday, three bottles of it! Tried some cloves in one of them, interested to see if it makes much of a difference!

Yeah, I put half a vanilla pod, half a cinnamon stick and a few cloves in mine last time with good results. Think I might add a bit of star anise this time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭strife

Can you I Sloe Gin?
    Or Can i buy the berry's somewhere iv no idea what they look like or where to find them :|

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There's a Gordon's-branded version, but I've never seen it on sale in Ireland. UK only, maybe. I liked it, but I don't think I've ever tasted a homemade one.
    gin_gor2.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement