Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Holidays, Christmas 2011

Options
  • 08-11-2011 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Just wondering what days we get off this year sine xmas is on a sunday?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

macfhinn wrote: »
    Just wondering what days we get off this year sine xmas is on a sunday?

Just Stephen's Day. There is no requirement in Ireland to carry over Public Holidays that fall on a weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Public holidays falling on a weekend
    Where a public holiday falls on a weekend, you do not have any automatic legal entitlement to have the next working day off work. This occurs in 2011 when Christmas Day (25 December) falls on a Sunday. It also occurs in 2012 when New Year's Day (1 January) falls on a Sunday. This means that Tuesday 27 December 2011, and Monday 2 January 2012 are not public holidays. When this happens you are entitled to the normal alternative arrangements concerning employment and public holidays that is:

A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
    An additional day of annual leave
    An additional day's pay
    The nearest church holiday to the public holiday as a paid day off.
    Your employer can require you to attend work on those days.

Make of that what you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This thread is now a sticky as it comes up a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,210 ✭✭✭✭looksee

So you are entitled to a day off, just not necessarily the next working day. For many jobs however it is easiest to give the next working day. Service industry jobs would probably be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The company can choose any of those options listed above, so they might just pay extra instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭touchwood

So if I work in a pub part time and work new years day but am rostered off on the Monday do I get double time for working new years day? Don't normally work Monday's anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

someone may be able to answer this. I work any 5 out of 7 days with 2 days off a week. This can be any 2 days. This week my days off are Stephens Day & New Years day. Just got my pay slip & basicly been paid for 40 hour week. Do I get 2 days paid back for these ? Its all very confusing TBH

Advertisement