Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Led Zeppelin IV - 40 years ago today

Options
  • 08-11-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭

So, one of the iconic rock albums was released 40 years ago today 08/11.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_IV

I was 11 when it came out and do remember a mate taped a vinyl copy onto cassette for me on the day it was released. Black Dog was the song for me on this album. Growing up in Australia at the time meant all I heard on the radio was hard rock music so Black Dog was all over the place. I'd seldom listen to the album any more but would still turn up that song if I hear it.

Seems as it has had such an impact on rock music over the years I thought it worth opening a thread to hear what others of different generations have to say. I don't have audio on my 'daytime' computer so will suggest others post the youtube links where the mood requires :)

Warning: No Stairway :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have to say IV is for me one of the lesser Zep albums but I'm a bit weird and like Presence and ITTOD more.

I like this one for its mix of long and short phrasing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

old gregg wrote: »

Warning: No Stairway :p

You know it's funny, they were playing Stairway on the radio this morning and it got me thinking of how it's one of those songs that is so popular/big etc that it's underrated.

Like most people would be the exact same "Don't stick on Stairway" and as a result I hadn't heard it in ages. Then was listening to it today and forgot how good it really is. Class song and album in general.

Love Misty Mountain Hop too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

old gregg wrote: »
    So, one of the iconic rock albums was released 40 years ago today 08/11.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_IV

I was 11 when it came out

I was -11 when this came out :D. I discovered it in my teens'. I think this album benefitted from the "mystery" around the 4 symbols and of course the awesomeness of Stairway To Heaven.
    In fairness I find that all Led Zep's 7 first albums are masterpieces to some extent. They really were ahead of their time and brought so much to the development of all the subgenres of Rock/Metal music. On this album, I particularly like When The Levee Breaks that mixes so cleverly this folk/blues atmosphere with such heavyness in the rhythmic section (John Bonham was really a legendary drummer).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Alzy

love this album . My older brother bought it and some years later when I could reach the record playing device it got me into Zepplin.

Still have it on vinyl .. but don't tell my bro :D

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Brilliant album, one of the first rock albums I kinda became aware of as a young fella, my dad had (still has!) it on cassette!
    Although I suppose Stairway is (maybe) slighty overplayed/referenced by now?
    The whole album is class though, if Bonzo's hammering on the hi-hat intro on Rock and Roll doesn't do it for you, you're probably not alive.:P
    I love Levee as well, awesome song.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

my first proper intro to LZ was through a bunch of Liverpudlian scallies no less while on co-op from UL in France 97. Lots of stuff I hadn't heard before, and I dived straight in.......

Some of the "B B B B B B B Baby Baby" stuff is a bit cheesey today, but some great stuff all the same.

I actually think Plant's stuff with Alison Krauss is brilliant too, and good to see he never rehashed his Zep stuff.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Would love to recreate how I felt the first time I ever heard Black Dog, totally blown away.
    Favourite Led Zep song though is When the Levee Breaks, what a way to finish the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

It’s one of those timeless albums that always sounds fresh to me. There my favourite band period, no one will ever top Zep. You can stick the rest up your jacksie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I remember years ago some radio station had a regular "Classic Album" slot whereby they'd play an entire "side" of the record, uninterrupted. They'd nearly always play side one. However, when they did Led Zeppelin IV, they opted to play side two, the less obvious choice, but actually quite a shrewd move, 'cos the latter half of the album sometimes gets overlooked.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Advertisement