Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Sabbath and Van Halen to play Download 2012?

Options
  • 08-11-2011 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 72,168 ✭✭✭✭

*crosses fingers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,205 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Will be either or IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

*crosses fingers*

Van Halen have already cancelled their Euro dates for next year which included Download so I'd say that's gone.......Sabbath on the other hand......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

My God I would love to see this happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

My God I would love to see this happening

I'd be very surprised if Sabbath weren't announced as headliners for Download on Friday - should be an interesting announcement by Sabbath either way.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

My take on the announcement is, new album is recorded and will be released early next year, a tour to go along with it and then the band will retire the Black Sabbath name, certainly as a recording band anyway. A new album recorded by the 4 original members would bring the whole story full circle.

The last gig should be held in Birmingham, a couple of days after they've played Dublin of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I think Sabbath are more likely for Sonisphere....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Pretty sure that tomorrow is just to announce that they have officially reformed as it is a private guests only announcement rather than a full on press conference. Henry Rollins is the host for the event and all four original members will be present.

I expect to see a number of big shows announced as well, so that they can do an original line up show in the US, the UK and in mainland Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 allOtherPlaces

Now, however, we must try to ensure Black Sabbath play Ireland on their own turf and NOT at Poxygen or the Electric Pickpocket.

Can we start a petition or something? Black Sabbath for the Point Theatre or (in my dreams) 3 nights at the Olympia.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Now, however, we must try to ensure Black Sabbath play Ireland on their own turf and NOT at Poxygen or the Electric Pickpocket.

Can we start a petition or something? Black Sabbath for the Point Theatre or (in my dreams) 3 nights at the Olympia.....

IF they came over it'd be a stand alone Sabbath Gig, no other festivals are on at the time of Download over here and they wouldn't travel from mainland Europe to do Poxygen so fear not.

scudzilla wrote: »
    IF they came over it'd be a stand alone Sabbath Gig, no other festivals are on at the time of Download over here and they wouldn't travel from mainland Europe to do Poxygen so fear not.

I hope you're right brother. But we must remain vigilant.

BLACK SABBATH! I've been into the sabs since 1985 when I picked up a copy of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath off a foolish friend who had "moved on" to Iron Maiden.

If it's possible to tire of BLACK SABBATH, it takes longer than 26 years anyway....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Sounds like DL have spent their budget on getting sabbath so not sure what else they will be announcing!
    Sabbath for slane would be savage :)
    Will be interesting to see where sonisphere go from here!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Delighted to see Sabbath back but I am disappointed that Ronnie James Dio seems to be airbrushed from their history already,"first album since 77" and all that. What about Heaven and Hell and The Mob Rules? Two classic albums that reinvigorated Sabbath when Ozzy was fired. They were going nowhere at the time. I know Sabbaths place in metal lore is secure but RJD continued to fly the Sabbath flag when Ozzy couldn't give a toss.
    Looks like Download will be THE festival next year what with Metallica playing the Black album in full as well.(surprised to see Metallica at Download as Sonisphere is their festival). Would love a British Big 4, Sabbath, Maiden, Priest and Saxon together but dont think Maiden would go for it but you could have Priest and Saxon on the Sabbath bill which would be immense.

Van Halen have scrapped next years tour. They've never really bothered touring outside of the States anyway. I've always preferred the Sammy Hager version than the gimmick that is DLR anyway!
    RIP RJD A true metal legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

breffni666 wrote: »
    Delighted to see Sabbath back but I am disappointed that Ronnie James Dio seems to be airbrushed from their history already,"first album since 77" and all that. What about Heaven and Hell and The Mob Rules? Two classic albums that reinvigorated Sabbath when Ozzy was fired. They were going nowhere at the time. I know Sabbaths place in metal lore is secure but RJD continued to fly the Sabbath flag when Ozzy couldn't give a toss.
    Looks like Download will be THE festival next year what with Metallica playing the Black album in full as well.(surprised to see Metallica at Download as Sonisphere is their festival). Would love a British Big 4, Sabbath, Maiden, Priest and Saxon together but dont think Maiden would go for it but you could have Priest and Saxon on the Sabbath bill which would be immense.

Van Halen have scrapped next years tour. They've never really bothered touring outside of the States anyway. I've always preferred the Sammy Hager version than the gimmick that is DLR anyway!
    RIP RJD A true metal legend.

To be fair, I think they are referring to the original lineup. The last Black Sabbath studio album under their name was 1995.

breffni666 wrote: »
    I've always preferred the Sammy Hager version than the gimmick that is DLR anyway!

Wow, never thought I'd hear somebody admit to that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

How about doing a Download Ireland in the RDS like they did when GnR and Metallica headlined back in 2006?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Wow, never thought I'd hear somebody admit to that :P
    Now I know the DLR version had top quality tunes but the man himself just grates on me. I only came to VH in 86 so prob not as appreciative of older stuff as I should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,168 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

From Mr. Roth himself:

''Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.''

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Van Halen have announced they have signed to Interscope Records.

The band have also stated they are to record a new album with original frontman, David Lee Roth.

http://www.alterthepress.com/2011/11/van-halen-signs-to-interscope-records.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Got my RIP ticket! :D This festival will be epic.

Well, here's the dates: no sign of Ireland yet...

https://www.facebook.com/BlackSabbath?sk=events

Black Sabbath - Moscow - Olimpiski
    18 May at 19:00
    98 guests
    Black Sabbath - St. Petersburg - New...
    Sunday, 20 May 2012 at 19:00
    38 guests
    Black Sabbath - Helsinki - Hartwall...
    Wednesday, 23 May 2012 at 19:00
    571 guests
    Black Sabbath - Stockholm - Stadium
    Friday, 25 May 2012 at 19:00
    424 guests
    Black Sabbath - Bergen, Norway - Ber...
    Tuesday, 29 May 2012 at 19:00
    111 guests
    Black Sabbath - Oslo - Spektrum
    Thursday, 31 May 2012 at 19:00
    241 guests
    Black Sabbath - Malmo, Sweden - Malm...
    Saturday, 2 June 2012 at 19:00
    230 guests
    Black Sabbath - Dortmund, Germany -...
    Monday, 4 June 2012 at 20:00
    205 guests
    Black Sabbath - Donington, UK - Down...
    Sunday, 10 June 2012 at 12:00
    150 guests
    Black Sabbath - Rotterdam - Ahoy
    Tuesday, 12 June 2012 at 19:00
    76 guests
    Black Sabbath - Bilbao, Spain - Azke...
    Friday, 15 June 2012 at 19:00
    84 guests
    Black Sabbath - Nantes, France - Hel...
    Sunday, 17 June 2012 at 04:30
    67 guests
    Black Sabbath - Paris - Bercy
    Tuesday, 19 June 2012 at 04:30
    87 guests
    Black Sabbath - Dessel, Belgium - Gr...
    Friday, 22 June 2012 at 19:00
    91 guests
    Black Sabbath - Milan - Gods Of Metal
    Sunday, 24 June 2012 at 19:00
    177 guests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Well, here's the dates: no sign of Ireland yet...

https://www.facebook.com/BlackSabbath?sk=events

Black Sabbath - Moscow - Olimpiski
    18 May at 19:00
    98 guests
    Black Sabbath - St. Petersburg - New...
    Sunday, 20 May 2012 at 19:00
    38 guests
    Black Sabbath - Helsinki - Hartwall...
    Wednesday, 23 May 2012 at 19:00
    571 guests
    Black Sabbath - Stockholm - Stadium
    Friday, 25 May 2012 at 19:00
    424 guests
    Black Sabbath - Bergen, Norway - Ber...
    Tuesday, 29 May 2012 at 19:00
    111 guests
    Black Sabbath - Oslo - Spektrum
    Thursday, 31 May 2012 at 19:00
    241 guests
    Black Sabbath - Malmo, Sweden - Malm...
    Saturday, 2 June 2012 at 19:00
    230 guests
    Black Sabbath - Dortmund, Germany -...
    Monday, 4 June 2012 at 20:00
    205 guests
    Black Sabbath - Donington, UK - Down...
    Sunday, 10 June 2012 at 12:00
    150 guests
    Black Sabbath - Rotterdam - Ahoy
    Tuesday, 12 June 2012 at 19:00
    76 guests
    Black Sabbath - Bilbao, Spain - Azke...
    Friday, 15 June 2012 at 19:00
    84 guests
    Black Sabbath - Nantes, France - Hel...
    Sunday, 17 June 2012 at 04:30
    67 guests
    Black Sabbath - Paris - Bercy
    Tuesday, 19 June 2012 at 04:30
    87 guests
    Black Sabbath - Dessel, Belgium - Gr...
    Friday, 22 June 2012 at 19:00
    91 guests
    Black Sabbath - Milan - Gods Of Metal
    Sunday, 24 June 2012 at 19:00
    177 guests

Beaten to it. LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,964 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

From Mr. Roth himself:

''Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.''

Did he mention having Eddie van halens son play bass lol

Advertisement