Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New holland tractors..differences

Options
  • 07-11-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

lads

Im changing my tractor and dont want to go to the bank(for obvious reasons..)

Is a nh 8340 and a nh 8360 the same tractor but with a different bonnet?

Ive been warned to only buy range command gearbox models.

Ideally id buy a jd 6910 but i dont have the money and i couldent live with jd repair bills. last summer i had to give 120 euro for a fcukin door hinge for a jd 6400..the final straw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JOAT

The nh 8340 is the series before the 8360 so it would be a few years older. Think the 60 series came out in the early 90's until around year 2000. The 8360 in my own opinion would be a better tractor from a comfort and ease of use point of view. Most of the 8360's iv seen have the Range command transmission which really adds to driver comfort and are supposed to be more reliable. I have seen some of these machines to be tuned up to push out 170hp ish which would really take its toll on an engine as the hours get high. just something to watch out for. As for the JD 6910. I would regard that JD series as probably their best yet. Real reliable basic workhorses. If you could find a nice one it would definitely be my first choice but as you said the price for them is high because they are in such high demand and are really holding their resale value. Hope this was of use to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

JOAT wrote: »
    The nh 8340 is the series before the 8360 so it would be a few years older. Think the 60 series came out in the early 90's until around year 2000. The 8360 in my own opinion would be a better tractor from a comfort and ease of use point of view. Most of the 8360's iv seen have the Range command transmission which really adds to driver comfort and are supposed to be more reliable. I have seen some of these machines to be tuned up to push out 170hp ish which would really take its toll on an engine as the hours get high. just something to watch out for. As for the JD 6910. I would regard that JD series as probably their best yet. Real reliable basic workhorses. If you could find a nice one it would definitely be my first choice but as you said the price for them is high because they are in such high demand and are really holding their resale value. Hope this was of use to you

perhaps you could answer a question ive long asked

have new holland more ford or fiat influence and how can you tell based on the model ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rahin man

Thanks for that joat. id say the 8360 is the way to go. they seem to be better value than the 40 series. did you ever see one with a front loader fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

did you mean the 8630 or the 8360?

the 8630 came before the seris 40 but from what i remember from a few that were around here wasnt great. these were the 1st of teh newer electronic gearboxes taking over from the TW and seris 10's but needed to be sorted out. the seris 40's are better but go for the later ones (blues cab) as most of the problems from the 1st generation of the seris 40's were ironed out. if you notice there arent too many 8630 floating around which tells you that they werent that popular. The 8360 was and update to the 8340 prior to the T seris.

as for the difference between ford and fiat, fiat bought out ford in the early 90's, the first of the seris 40's were ford, the blue cab versions then had more fiat bits added like the axel and so on. the seris 35 is actully a fiat in foad colours (they all became new hollands) there are still slight differences between the tractors depending from which family it came from. when you get to the T seris the TL is from the fiat side with the TS from the ford side

yellow50HX wrote: »
    did you mean the 8630 or the 8360?

the 8630 came before the seris 40 but from what i remember from a few that were around here wasnt great. these were the 1st of teh newer electronic gearboxes taking over from the TW and seris 10's but needed to be sorted out. the seris 40's are better but go for the later ones (blues cab) as most of the problems from the 1st generation of the seris 40's were ironed out. if you notice there arent too many 8630 floating around which tells you that they werent that popular. The 8360 was and update to the 8340 prior to the T seris.

as for the difference between ford and fiat, fiat bought out ford in the early 90's, the first of the seris 40's were ford, the blue cab versions then had more fiat bits added like the axel and so on. the seris 35 is actully a fiat in foad colours (they all became new hollands) there are still slight differences between the tractors depending from which family it came from. when you get to the T seris the TL is from the fiat side with the TS from the ford side

thanks , whenever i head to the new holland dealer , i can tell him to not waste his time showing me TS versions so :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

irishh_bob wrote: »
    thanks , whenever i head to the new holland dealer , i can tell him to not waste his time showing me TS versions so :D

what would be wrong with the ts

yog1 wrote: »
    what would be wrong with the ts

never rated ford tractors and im a big fan of fiat tractors

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

irishh_bob wrote: »
    never rated ford tractors and im a big fan of fiat tractors

suppose each to there own,
    i have a ts110 and a good mate has a tl100a, the ts is 2001 yr and the tl is 2007(i think), the tl would be a better puller, but the ts would out grip her, we've argued about this several times until we put them to the test, i was able to pull a 1150g tanker up a stone lane in 2wd and when we hook'd the same tanker onto his tl100a, she got beat and nearly got beat when he put it in 4wd to take it on up the lane, (i know this is not the way to drive and 4wd should be engaged before any hill is face'd)
    the hydraulics are better on the ts (both have loader's) i used the tl for stacking bales once so that's how i know that, the tl is smaller and easier to move in a small place but the ts can handle a bale without and weight on the back,
    long story short they are both good tractors each have there good and bad points, so it comes down to what floats your boat

yog1 wrote: »
    suppose each to there own,
    i have a ts110 and a good mate has a tl100a, the ts is 2001 yr and the tl is 2007(i think), the tl would be a better puller, but the ts would out grip her, we've argued about this several times until we put them to the test, i was able to pull a 1150g tanker up a stone lane in 2wd and when we hook'd the same tanker onto his tl100a, she got beat and nearly got beat when he put it in 4wd to take it on up the lane, (i know this is not the way to drive and 4wd should be engaged before any hill is face'd)
    the hydraulics are better on the ts (both have loader's) i used the tl for stacking bales once so that's how i know that, the tl is smaller and easier to move in a small place but the ts can handle a bale without and weight on the back,
    long story short they are both good tractors each have there good and bad points, so it comes down to what floats your boat

sounds about right

fords - ts always had pretty good hydraulics

fiat - tl were always great to pull but were lacking in the finer points like hydraulics , gear selection etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

yeah the fords and fiat each have their good points. the tl's are more basic but the could be excatly what you need at time, want to get 77635 but they are just too expensive at the mo, ideal for what i'd use it for, basic gearbox, low profie cabe and frotn window opens which is great for working in low sheds as there is no glare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭THE LINK WALSH

rahin man wrote: »
    lads

Ideally id buy a jd 6910 but i dont have the money and i couldent live with jd repair bills. last summer i had to give 120 euro for a fcukin door hinge for a jd 6400..the final straw.

A 96-99 model 8340 will be an all round cheaper tractor to run than an 8360 for a few reasons,a straight version of either will cost around the same money but a high hours 60 series will cost far more than the 40 series to maintain.The two tractors are completely different,the 60 series has the Fiat F type brakes,one big disc and a wear plate at each side,these wear far more excessively and have to be changed a lot more often than the 40 series 4 smaller discs and two wear plates on each side version,each time the 60 series brakes need to be done you will have the extra cost of changing the 100 litres of so of back end oil.The range command box is great to use and fairly reliable but often needs synchros,rails etc at 10000 hours or so,in reality these are the kind of hours that will be on most 60 series the op will be lookin at.Rebuilding a 60 series box will set up back 4-5k,the 40 series wont be as prone to synchro problems.Another thing is that the 60 is a heavier,longer unit and is likely to have been working harder over its lifetime than the lighter 8340,the NH 8340 are a great tractor id reckon,very good lock,nice eneogh cab and controls,plenty of power.40 Series parts are far cheaper than 60 series parts,a 40 would be lighter on diesel aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 JD7710

8360 a definite way to go especially with the rc gearbox.... real work horse tractor and good comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 5 diggerdrivered

rahin man wrote: »
    lads

Parts for nh are not cheap either, I run a 97 8560 and she often needs little bits and pieces, last week alone a flashing unit was 80 euro, bonnet latch 95 euro, things like that are dear, injector pumps give little bits of bother too at around 7000 hours, and their notorious for dropping valves, going reconditioning the head in my one in a few weeks as a precaution , also you couldn't stop them leaking oil! Go for a 10 series jd I'd say Im slightly sorry I didn't ... But no tractor is bullet proof I suppose, on the plus side 85 has pucks of power and smashing gearbox and is very driver friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think the tractor itself is more important at this stage. Try and get the freshest you can, not something cast aside after a lifetime hauling trailers for a contractor.

Some parts for NH are steep too. Front grille for a TS is about €500, and they all fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

A question on NH TD5 series. In this case TD5 110.
    What’s the story on these? Are they an economy version, built in Turkey? Moreover as a stockman tractor are they a good bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

A question on NH TD5 series. In this case TD5 110.
    What’s the story on these? Are they an economy version, built in Turkey? Moreover as a stockman tractor are they a good bet?

They would be the basic version of the T5 series. Very little electronics and basic gearbox. Mainly a stockmans tractor

Advertisement