Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PicoCell / FemtoCell / Mobile Phone Signal Booster

Options
  • 07-11-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone here knows where I can pick up a FemtoCell or Pico Cell mobile phone signal booster. The phone signal at home is atrocious and if you want to make a call you have to stand up stairs at a window. I know that these things are available within the UK and elsewhere in Europe and they have been for a few years now so its not new technology. I did a bit of a walkabout today and went into Curries/Peats/Carphone Warehouse/Maplin and none of them had them, very few knew what I was talking about and only Carphone Warehouse said they would be getting them soon. Can anyone confirm this as it seems very strange that what is essentially 3/4 year old tech is practically unknown.

To the best of my knowledge these act like Mini Mobile phone towers who boost the signal in the area and when your mobile phone connects to it the hardware routes the call via broadband to the Telecoms network something similar to how VOIP works.

I remember seeing an advertisement a while back from BT about a new home phone product range they were launching it was basically a mobile phone but it replaced the handset for your standard DECT phone. So when your out and about its a normal phone but when your close to home it connects to the base station (I think this was a pico-cell) and makes calls via the landline similar to a wireless handset. Has anyone seen any of these anywhere? Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

The only one I have heard of is the Vodafone "Sure Signal". That is a femtocell that connects to your broadband and gives you 3G coverage inside your house. I have one and it works perfectly. 5 bars in the house where I used to have to go to a window on the west side to make a call. Only works with vodafone mobile numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

@Zith - Cheers for the feedback man, good to know I can get them as I was able to find the SureSignal on their website. I think its just Vodafone that offers this and Im not with Vodafone :-| Will keep ye posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 offlineuser

That nextivity cel-fi signal booster thing claims to work on T-mobile, orange and o2 also. It is said to be legal and your right I think Three have a version they use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭jkforde

I know this is an old thread mods but... anyone using one of these devices on Meteor's network? even though we're living close to a tower the signal inside da hoose is weak so looking for a way to boost or route thru the cable connection. ta

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Advertisement