Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Enfield Poltergeist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Possibly one of the most amazing investigations in recent times, people as diverse as Police officers to journalists claim they witnessed "poltergeist" activity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NofBgeNklA

Rare interview with the girl involved, (many years later).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-jDAcJmXHo&feature=related

Yeah, I've mentioned that a few times on this forum before. Guy Lyon Playfair's book 'This House Is Haunted' is an excellent read. There aren't many copies in circulation though - I had to buy a second-hand copy of it for about €17 on amazon. The price was hiked up because it was a first edition book.

Anyway, that case is cool. My favourite story was probably the one where a visiting physicist ordered Janet to make a sofa cushion disappear in her bedroom and draw a circle around the light fixture with a red pen in the same instance. The windows of the room were shut.

Everyone stepped outside the room, heard a bit of commotion and went back into the room to see that Janet had drawn a circle around the light fixture as told and the cushion was nowhere to be seen. This had all happened within a few seconds. Meanwhile, a delivery man and a lollipop lady outside the house who were just going about their business and were oblivious to the nearby goings-on, both independently saw the red sofa cushion just appear on the roof of the house. Before this, both of them said they had seen Janet hovering in a circular fashion accompanied by an array of objects inside her bedroom window. The delivery guy (might have been a baker) said he feared she would come through the window.

All that occurred within seconds. How did Janet manage to hover around in front of her closed window, make the sofa cushion appear outside on the roof and draw a red line around the light on the ceiling all at the same time within seconds? Very, very strange.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Yeah, I've mentioned that a few times on this forum before. Guy Lyon Playfair's book 'This House Is Haunted' is an excellent read. There aren't many copies in circulation though - I had to buy a second-hand copy of it for about €17 on amazon. The price was hiked up because it was a first edition book.

Anyway, that case is cool. My favourite story was probably the one where a visiting physicist ordered Janet to make a sofa cushion disappear in her bedroom and draw a circle around the light fixture with a red pen in the same instance. The windows of the room were shut.

Everyone stepped outside the room, heard a bit of commotion and went back into the room to see that Janet had drawn a circle around the light fixture as told and the cushion was nowhere to be seen. This had all happened within a few seconds. Meanwhile, a delivery man and a lollipop lady outside the house who were just going about their business and were oblivious to the nearby goings-on, both independently saw the red sofa cushion just appear on the roof of the house. Before this, both of them said they had seen Janet hovering in a circular fashion accompanied by an array of objects inside her bedroom window. The delivery guy (might have been a baker) said he feared she would come through the window.

All that occurred within seconds. How did Janet manage to hover around in front of her closed window, make the sofa cushion appear outside on the roof and draw a red line around the light on the ceiling all at the same time within seconds? Very, very strange.

Obviously fakery must be ruled out.

But usually these things occur around unhappy girls just about to come into puberty, brainscans show the area of the brain involved too.

Poltergesits, levatation etc have been happening since the dawn of time.

Guy Lion Playfair is a member of a club Im in.

The voice was freaky, especially as a guy has said it was that of his father who died in the house.

Was she picking that up telepathically or was she a portal to another dimension ? Who knows.

There are still idiots who claim its all a fake :rolleyes:

Obviously fakery must be ruled out.

But usually these things occur around unhappy girls just about to come into puberty, brainscans show the area of the brain involved too.

Well, Guy Lyon Playfair does often acknowledge in his book that a number of incidents were merely trickery by the children. He said they (the investigators - chiefly himself and Maurice Grosse) became increasingly adept at discerning trickery from genuinely unexplainable events.

They weren't complete eejits, in other words.

Although I can understand why people would suggest the following, many external parties claimed that Grosse was fixated on the afterlife and paranormal phenomena as a result of losing his own daughter (coincidentally, also named Janet) prematurely. While there might be a snippet of truth in it, I don't think it would have had such an all-consuming effect on him that he would try to 'drag out' events at that house over two years, often bringing himself to exhaustion.

Grosse wasn't a young man at the time, so it must have been arduous for him to endure consecutive, sleepless, action-packed nights surrounded by hysterical people looking to him for support and answers.

Nobody ever gave the man much credit for him helping a family - particularly the mother - in obvious distress and, while he was at it, not receiving any payment whatsoever.
    The voice was freaky, especially as a guy has said it was that of his father who died in the house.

Was she picking that up telepathically or was she a portal to another dimension ? Who knows.

Nobody knows. People suggested Janet had simply overheard neighbours talking about that man Bill and how he died, but that hasn't been proven. Even so, would the neighbours have said, "Bill died in an armchair in the corner of the living room?" and mentioned the date of his death in their conversation as well?
    There are still idiots who claim its all a fake :rolleyes:

Some of it might have been faked, i.e. trickery by the children, but a lot of it doesn't seem to look that way if you examine all the testimonies carefully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

anyone remember that episode of The Waltons with young Ellen i think it was, in which paranormal activity happened around her

philstar wrote: »
    anyone remember that episode of The Waltons with young Ellen i think it was, in which paranormal activity happened around her

Lol, The Waltons. I vaguely remember that being on RTE One on Sundays. Another one kinda similar to it was 'Little House On The Prairie' - all I remember from that are the opening credits, where the kids are running happily down a hilly field of yellow flowers, or something, and the father with the kinda big black shiny hair. :D

RE: The Waltons, I found this:

They say it's Elizabeth who was dealing with the poltergeist. I wouldn't know one from the other, tbh. The only character I ever remembered, and would recognise now, was/is John Boy.

Who knew The Waltons would highlight the problem of poltergeist activity?! Always shedding light on social issues, lol.

• Advertisement

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/8361618.Enfield_Poltergeist_case_offers_new_proof_of_paranormal/

NEW scientific research which uses evidence from the world famous Enfield Poltergeist case has come a step closer to proving conclusively the existence of paranormal activity.

Research published in the Journal of the Society for Psychical Research has concluded that noises recorded during poltergeist activity at a house in Green Street in the late 1970s were unlikely to have been caused by normal human activity.

The recordings, made between 1977 and 1978, captured a variety of unexplained occurrences that plagued a mother and her children - including banging on walls and moving furniture.

During the year of disturbances, incidents of levitation and appearances of apparitions were also reported.

The events were witnessed by the family, along with local police officers, neighbours and journalists, receiving global media attention.

The recordings have for the first time been analysed in detail and the sounds of knocking on walls and furniture compared to the same sounds recreated under scientific conditions. The results showed the unexplained noises in Enfield did not produce normal sound wave patterns.

At 2 mins an interview with the Police who witnessed the events of seeing an arm chair levitate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JI8Pk1qbfo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Really interesting and thanks for posting. Please start a new thread though as this one is older than time itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement