Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Import insurance

Options
  • 07-11-2011 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Well lads,Im lookn at a mkiv golf gt tdi (110bhp),I've been in contact with the fella sellin it 2day and am goin to look at it tomorrow.Im fairly sure i wont find any faults with the car and hope to have it within the next few days.I've gottn a few insurance quotes online,i tried them all and only about 50% of them quoted me due to my lack of experience.The best quote i got was from,you guessed it Bestquote for 3k which isn't too bad at all considering its my first car.
    There's only one thing im worried about,the cars a uk import (from the north i think),i know jap imports cause big problems when it comes to insurance for a whole load reasons that i cant see applying to the uk but i know "is it an import?" is gonna be one of the first things there gonna ask when im getting the insurance.
    How is this going to effect things??i typed in the reg to get the vehicle details and it didnt effect it then but whats gonna happen when im the insurance brokers face to face??If the answers not a good one,would i get away with pretending i dont know when they ask the all important question???

Any help greatly appreciated,thanks.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I don't think anyone would advise lying to insurers, it can only come back to bite you in the ass at some point in the future.

If the old reg was in the format "ABC 1234" then it'd be a NI car. The fact it's an import shouldn't cause issues though.

And as you've been told before, there's officially no such thing as a GT TDI, so don't go making life hard for yourself. There's a data sticker in the boot of the car, insure the car for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

there's officially no such thing as a GT TDI, so don't go making life hard for yourself. There's a data sticker in the boot of the car, insure the car for what it is.

There is a such thing but only in the uk so it is a gt seen as its an import but none the less il try what you were sayn before.

Thanks for all the help btw,in future i think il just pm you instead of making a new thread ha.hopefully this will be the last,about insurance anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Clutchkick wrote: »
    There is a such thing but only in the uk so it is a gt seen as its an import but none the less il try what you were sayn before.

Thanks for all the help btw,in future i think il just pm you instead of making a new thread ha.hopefully this will be the last,about insurance anyway.

The GT badge was only stuck on by uk dealers to boost sales, I wouldn't take any heed of it.

A quick google throws up this

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=689701&postcount=2

take a read, it'll be worthwhile before you go viewing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

The GT badge was only stuck on by uk dealers to boost sales, I wouldn't take any heed of it.

maybe your right,will the insurance company argue seen as its registered as a gt??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Clutchkick wrote: »

maybe your right,will the insurance company argue seen as its registered as a gt??

No because its only a diesel golf. Jap imports are problematic to Insure because of the costs associated with parts when you ram it up the back of somebody. Golfs are as common as you can get so won't be an "import issue"

GT TDI is a dealer tag. It doesn't exist in real terms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement