Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion on Census

Options
  • 07-11-2011 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I often see 'Episcopal' as religion on census forms. Is it the same as Church of Ireland or Church of England. Could someone clarify for me please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

It's the Anglican Communion in USA so probably more like the Church of Ireland. It was organised after independence as Church of England clergy had to swear an oath of alligence to the crown.
    Technically it just means any church that has a bishop, episkopos is the Greek for bishop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

The Anglican Church in Scotland is also called the Scottish Episcopal church, or just the Episcopal church - to distinguish it from the Church of Scotland which is Presbyterian.
    In any case Episcopal usually refers to the local branch of the Anglican church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks everyone. That clears it for me. I just thought if they didn't put down CofI or CofE then it might mean another religion I wasn't aware of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Episcopal is the church of ireland it is another word for anglican. I think its a certain type of anglicanism.

Advertisement