Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pre Budget submission(s).......

Options
  • 07-11-2011 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭

Because it's That Time of Year, I sent off my usual bunch of pre-budget submissions to various Ministers, and thought I'd ask some of you to, too.

Now, I'm not looking for people to vent, or rant, on everthing and anything, but rather simple, succinct emails on specific subject(s).....pick one, keep it short (a couple of paragraph's, max.....). If you want to talk about more than one subject, do a separate email for each.

For me, I've singled out, on the car front, the old nuggets of car tax etc, etc, and the injustice of the cc-based system vs the emissions based. Basically, the cc-based system is now priced way too high, and in particular, on older (i.e. cheaper cars), is unjustifiable. I'll avoid quoting my own spiel, save to ask people to drop a note to the minister's concerned..

It'll take you 10 minutes or less, is free, and will show that Out Here, someone does give a ****. If only 100 of us sent in, something, you'd never know..........

You should sign your name, address at least, and a phone number if you want to.

Please keep correspondence(s) civil, treat people as you want to be treated. Anything else just discredits any claims we make..........

I addressed mine to Minster for Finance, Leo Varadkar, and cc'd the Minister for Environment and Minister for Transport. I'll give you brownie points for cc'ing your local TD, but I'd prefer you act now, and not do that, than prevaricate looking to find out who your local TD is...........I should have asked people, sooner - my bad.

The email addresses are:
    minister@finance.gov.ie
    minister@transport.ie
    minister@environ.ie

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

Will send one off in the morning, I agree that the cc system is unfairly weighted.

Prevaricate, did you mean procrastinate?

Just out of interest, do you reckon a change to the cc system could be revenue neutral? If not I can't see them going for it in these times, they need the cash. Have you indicated or suggested how much the rates should change by?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Will send one off in the morning, I agree that the cc system is unfairly weighted.

Prevaricate, did you mean procrastinate?

Nope, I meant prevaricate as in.... 'dither', 'stall', 'put off', 'beat about the bush', .... ;)
    But procrastinate will do the job as well........ :)
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Just out of interest, do you reckon a change to the cc system could be revenue neutral? If not I can't see them going for it in these times, they need the cash. Have you indicated or suggested how much the rates should change by?

Tbh, I didn't even 'go there'. If you go on the 'revenue neutral' model, then what's the reference point ? I mean, motor tax revenue is down, because of the too-high rates/the economy etc. So, if you pick the glory days of 2007 you will NEVER get revenue-neutral. Ever. So, can I pick............1996 as the reference instead.......? Do you see what I mean ?

Instead, if you look at it as a way of increasing gross tax income - now - through greater compliance, less administration, by offering a more equitable system, then it is cost-beneficial, so, imho, that's a +.

All this aside from the fact that tax in this State is supposed to be equitable and just - and quite obviously, it isn't.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I'm going to email them but I will be suggesting a motor-tax-on-fuel as beaten to death in other threads.

Its so simple, pay for what you use with near 100% compliance.

galwaytt wrote: »

Instead, if you look at it as a way of increasing gross tax income - now - through greater compliance, less administration, by offering a more equitable system, then it is cost-beneficial, so, imho, that's a +.

All this aside from the fact that tax in this State is supposed to be equitable and just - and quite obviously, it isn't.

To be honest those who don't pay road tax because it's not equitable are few and far between I think. Those who don't pay because they can't afford won't be helped by reductions in the rates unless they were completely slashed.

I'm all for folks emailing the powers at be but unless alternatives, realistic ones at that are suggested I can't see anything coming out of it. Much like everything really.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'm all for folks emailing the powers at be but unless alternatives, realistic ones at that are suggested I can't see anything coming out of it. Much like everything really.

...you see, you've just proved my point.........I'm not trying to get people to my point of view (which is why I haven't laid out my exact submission.....I want people to come up with their own solutions). I just want people to do Something.

If you're the Minister, and you get 1 letter, you can scan it, and dismiss it. If you're the Minister and get.......500 letters - that's not ignor-able.......(?). Don't worry about the content, you just want to get the issue on the table. The content will always be the subject of the debate. But at least there'll be debate....

It's like my brother, giving out about politician's.........after the last election he was giving out, as usual, so I asked him who he had voted for...........oh, no-one, he said, as he felt it's a waste of time....... in which case, you do truly get the politicians you deserve........he may not have voted any 'wasters' in, but he didn't vote them out either, or put in anyone else to do better, either..........

Ode To The Motorist

............. I just want people to do Something.

I want the universal social charge abolished, will you email the Minister of Finance for me, please :pac:

I assume you have all heard Minister Hogan's news today that Motor Tax is definately on the grill, and I heard the numbers of 65% upward being mentioned (I assume, for post 2008 cars). Pre 2008 cars will get hit for 5%.

So, there you have it.

So - written to him, and cc'd your TD/Senator, yet ?

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I sent one off in August, got a confirmation of receipt on November 3rd, then heard nothing. Can't say I didn't try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Pre budget time is ridiculous. Various people with vested interests saying why their thing shouldn't be cut in the upcoming budget. Did they not get the memo that the country is busto? No offence OP

• Advertisement

So - written to him, and cc'd your TD/Senator, yet ?

Nope, I'd sooner see the motor tax increased as described than have higher income tax, the tax band for 41% dropped, increases in PRSI or increases in the smelly universal social charge etc etc etc.

I know you ask rhetorically but the money will be taken out of the economy somehow so I'll pay an extra 5% motor tax and a few cent per litre on petrol.

The universal social charge is the biggest effect that the big R has had on me (aside from -ive equity which doesn't bother me hugely as +ive equity didn't effect me either although I do rue not selling up and leasing a strip club in Leicester or somewhere similar back in 2007, such is life) and motor tax and fuel prices and VAT increases all combined don't touch it in magnitude.

Unfortunately this is payback time, since the giveaway budgets of 2002 we all benefited from decreases in taxation and it all went t1ts up, we'll have to sit this out until Germany decide when they are going to play ball, all we are doing is playing a waiting game.

I do feel for anyone struggling who can't make ends meet but the motor tax is the least of their worries too really.

Advertisement