Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this netbook be any good?

Options
  • 06-11-2011 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi guys Wondering if this would be any good for a 9 yearold to play online games and browse? I dont have a clue and you guys are always a mine of advice and info.
    http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/disgo-net-browser-3000-05318996-pdt.html. Iv seen some of the deals on here for the tablets and think it would be broken quicker than a netbook.

Also what would you advise for teens 17 and 15 for browsing downloading music and stuff, needs to be fairly cheap!!! Thanks

Comments

a netbook for a 9 year old?
    what next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Tbh I don't think a 9 year old should be online. The Netbooks on that link seem decent enough and should do the job, but a 9 year old IMO should not be near a computer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

a netbook for a 9 year old?
    what next

... a lawyer for your hair?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Windows CE? Avoid like the plague!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

AG2R wrote: »
    Tbh I don't think a 9 year old should be online. The Netbooks on that link seem decent enough and should do the job, but a 9 year old IMO should not be near a computer

What? I started using the family computer when i was 7 and turned out fine, sure we didn't have the internet back then but that's one huge generalisation there.

I'd be weary of letting my kids online at the age of 9 but there's nothing wrong with them using a computer. a computer is a wonderful learning tool. there's nothing wrong with them using the internet as well as long as it's supervised.

OP I wouldn't get a netbook for anyone, i find them hugely uncomfortable, difficult to type on and most websites and programs look crap on the small screen.

I would suggest at looking at getting a desktop, for a number of reasons.
    1. you can limit the time better your kid can take a desktop sneakingly up to bed with them or elsewhere out of your supervision.

2. desktop will help the child learn typing and using the mouse better than using a trackpad.

3. desktops are more powerful and use better quality parts so will last longer.

4. netbooks are known to be flimsy, especially in the hands of kids.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Not a BA

closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement