Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got root canal treatment...

Options
  • 06-11-2011 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I got a root canal done on Friday, I still can't close my mouth properly. Is this normal? It was my top right incisor, it feels a bit rough on the inside. I am going back to the dentist in a few weeks. Its sore but I have neurofen plus.

I have no crown, is it normal to get one fitted or does it depend. Also, will the tooth discolour now that it is 'dead'

Meh to root canals:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Hi all

I got a root canal done on Friday, I still can't close my mouth properly. Is this normal? It was my top right incisor, it feels a bit rough on the inside. I am going back to the dentist in a few weeks. Its sore but I have neurofen plus.

I have no crown, is it normal to get one fitted or does it depend. Also, will the tooth discolour now that it is 'dead'

Meh to root canals:(

Is the root canal finished or a work in progress??

What do you mean you can't close your mouth? Are we talking a fraction of a millimeter or 2 inches?
    If just a fraction- likely you have a high filling that needs to be smoothed down.
    If you can't close due to pain or tenderness in that tooth??-Hard to say here, too many variables to discuss here...

Rough? Again, should be smoothed down...

On a upper front tooth, a filling in the access cavity is ok if that's the only filling in the tooth... The more filling or lost tooth structure there is- the more likely you need a crown.

Not all root canalled teeth go dark, if so an internal bleaching can be done, failing that a crown etc...

OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Definitley not in inches or cms, it does hurt to close and the tooth is pushed forward a little but I haven't taken any neurofen since this morning. It probably needs to be smoothed. I'm noticing with my tongue there is not of a concave behind the tooth as there used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Definitley not in inches or cms, it does hurt to close and the tooth is pushed forward a little but I haven't taken any neurofen since this morning. It probably needs to be smoothed. I'm noticing with my tongue there is not of a concave behind the tooth as there used to be.

Sounds like a high bite on the new filling, get it adjusted...
    If the pain persists after adjustments, it may be the root canal not haling up fully but get the adjustment done first...

Good luck,
    OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I am going to ring the dentist this week.

It feels that the 'scratchyness' at the back of my tooth has become worse, if I run a nail over the crown I feel a small tip right at the top of the incisor.

Was it the tooth itself that got scratched during the RC or the stuff they use to fill in the tooth?

I just feel a bit paranoid about my teeth.

Advertisement