Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipads - are they good, what can they do?

Options
  • 06-11-2011 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

The auld one is at me to get her an Ipad 2 for college work, taking notes and whatnot. I'm just wondering if she can use them for all the things she wants to. Specifically, she wants to use a stylus to write her notes in lectures, read books and watch movies, Avi format mostly. Looking for feedback, mostly.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

This was only asked again a couple of days ago. There are numerous threads here about it. Use the search facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

not to mention there is plenty of information about it on the internet. Really mods should lock this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Personally I think a laptop/netbook might be a better option - I find typing is awkward on the iPad. You wil need to get an app for watching AVI files, it's not supported natively. I tried a stylus to reduce the amount of fingerprints on the screen, but it was useless.

You can read books on it, but I don't like it at all. It's not a proper eReader device.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Ours has become a music and BBC iPlayer device (brilliant service), occasional newspaper reading with breakfast in bed, plus recipes in the kitchen. Not really a worktool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

You're gonna get as many different opinions on this as theer are owners of iPads out there.

I've used mine for taking notes at meetings, both by typing AND by using the stylus. I found it great. It has the advantage that you can also record audio as you type (but you should always ask the speakers first if they don't mind you doing so!).

I've also written a 4,000 word assignment on it as part of a Masters degree, so I've used it for prolonged typing of text. Again, I found it fine. The keyboard is just about the same size as a netbook, which is they best thing to compare it with, because once you go into the realm of laptops, you dont have the same portability (they're portable, yes, but not as handy as an iPad to carry round).

In terms of what it can do: there are apps for pretty much everything you can think of now. The one big thing you cant do is programming, but if you're an "end user" like most iPad owners, then you'll not need to program. The other big ommission is Flash Player, but it seem sAdobe have given up fighting with Apple on this and I believe they are moving towards HTML5 format, which will play on the iPad.

I sold a netbook and a laptop to finance the iPad almost a year ago, and so far I do not regret making the switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The auld one is at me to get her an Ipad 2 for college work, taking notes and whatnot. I'm just wondering if she can use them for all the things she wants to. Specifically, she wants to use a stylus to write her notes in lectures, read books and watch movies, Avi format mostly. Looking for feedback, mostly.

I have an iStroke stylus (I kid you not) and it is utterly useless. If you can imagine writing with the eraser end of a pencil, that's the nearest thing to it. Having said that, I haven't tried a wide range of software, so I would suggest you do a lot of research if that is one of your main requirements. And remember, the iPad was specifically built not to use a stylus. Have a look at the Samsung Note if that feature is really needed.

Other than that, my own personal opinion is that tablet devices are not suitable for taking notes. I also have a physical keyboard for my iPad and it is a turkey. Aside from intermittent connectivity issues, the bulk of it and the case mean that I would be in fact better carrying around my laptop which would give me a wider range of functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Derfelcadarn

Thanks everyone(except for the searchbar donkeys), appreciate the feedback.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Try using it in future instead of name calling, you brain donor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

In fairness to white rebel, it gets a right pain in the hole answering the same thing again and again so next time try not be so lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Dude, you are new here, but you should read the charter before making comments like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I would see the ipad as a big toy.
    I love it, love it, love it.
    But will always turn on laptop when I need to DO something more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I would see the ipad as a big toy.
    I love it, love it, love it.
    But will always turn on laptop when I need to DO something more serious.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of SERIOUS stuff do you need to do on your laptop that you can't do on an iPad?

I'm not trying to be smart, I'm just interested.

If it's programming, then fine.

But I use my iPad for work (I'm a lecturer) and have created ALL my presentations in Keynote on the iPad since I got it last Xmas. I also use it to keep track of my work, and as I said a few posts back, I've used it to type 4,000 word assignments.

I've used it to play videos within the Keynotes, and to go online in class (it's an iPad 1, but there's an app for mirroring the internet onto a digital projector).

All serious stuff, as far as I'm concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

whiterebel wrote: »
    Try using it in future instead of name calling, you brain donor.

and you stop trying to be a mod :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Necron

Underdeveloped and overhyped/over priced fashion accessory favoured by the same people that think occupy wallstreet is having an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

yawn.

and you stop trying to be a mod :pac:

Ah, the irony.......:rolleyes:

Advertisement