Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which hospital?

Options
  • 06-11-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have realised I dont know the first thing about even thinking which hospital I would like to give birth in and I was hoping maybe some posters could share their decisions on the below ...

What maternity hospital did you go to?
    Why did you choose that one?
    Were there significant pros (or cons) for yours?
    What did you especially like (or dislike) about the one you chose?
    Did you go public/semi private/private?
    Why did you choose to go public/semi private/private?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I went to the coombe which I chose initially as it is the closest to us. Once I started reading up on labour etc I was glad I did as they give you 24hours to labour, don't do active management and don't do episiotomies. The coombe also do a dating scan at 12 weeks and an anomaly scan at 20. I went public even though I've excellent healthcare as I believe we should use the public system. I had 3 big scans all of which were free. It was great and I was very pleased with the care I received. The only downside was I'd have preferred to attend midwife clinic but as I'm over 35 I attended a consultant. I still had a midwife at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

MintyDoris wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have realised I dont know the first thing about even thinking which hospital I would like to give birth in and I was hoping maybe some posters could share their decisions on the below ...

What maternity hospital did you go to?
    Why did you choose that one?
    Were there significant pros (or cons) for yours?
    What did you especially like (or dislike) about the one you chose?
    Did you go public/semi private/private?
    Why did you choose to go public/semi private/private?

I went to Holles St to have my baby because I had worked there so felt somewhat 'comfortable' with what to expect.
    I went public/combined care and attended the satellite clinic in Wicklow Town. I saw the same consultant at every appointment and was never kept waiting longer than 20 minutes. It would be a different story in the out patiens in Holles St.
    I have also worked in the Coombe, but only for a short while working on some research. It was a lovely hospital and I found the staff really nice and helpful. Big pro for the Coombe is that it has a car park whereas Holles St doesn't (only street paid parking)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I went to Holles St too and I'm going back again now. Picked it because I'd worked there for 2 summers. Had a daycase operation in the Coombe a few years ago and wasn't happy with the aftercare so didn't want to go back. Saying that because it's catchment area covers where I live I've talked to lots of women who went there and found it great. The Rotunda is nowhere near me so never considered it.

I was happy with my experience of Holles St except for the long wait at appointments. I went public but was told that semi-private was as bad. I think there are long waits in the 3 main Dublin hospitals because there is a baby boom. I saw the same consultant every time. All the staff from the out patients clinic to delivery to the wards were great.

Only complaint I'd have was the food was terrible but that was easily solved by sending my husband out for sandwiches and smoothies. Also the lack of parking is a problem for some people.

I didn't see the point of paying extra for semi-private or private, not that we could afford to. I had no medical problems and I'm relatively young so didn't need the reassurance of seeing a consultant. Would have been happy in the midwives clinic but was moved because of a slight thyroid issue.

Doing exactly the same this time around and since baba 1 was only born in January I don't expect much has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

Hi

I am currently attending the Rotunda for my first baby. I am going publicly and so far cannot speak highly enough of the place. I am 24 weeks, had a scan at 12 weeks, one at 16 weeks after a car accident, one at 21 weeks then a reapeat one at 23 weeks as they felt the baby was not growing as well as he should (thankfully has caught up). I had no major waiting time for my first appointment. I am having combined care and go between my GP and midwives clinic, which I find very good and find them very helpful. All in all very happy and feel very well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

i went public in the rotunda even tho i live no where near it,it was close to where im originally from so family could visit easy enough and also it was the only one i knew off anyone having a baby there! steered clear of drogheda as heard alot of bad stuff about it! rotunda was grand cant complain the staff were all nice, only thing is with public the wards are cramped and really warm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 mauzouni

I am currently attending the public clinic at Holles St with my first baby (35 weeks now). It was recommended from my GP as well as a friend who had 2 babies there. I see different consultants at almost every visit but everyone so far has been great and very helpful. I've had a few complications in early pregnancy (spotting) and got more scans than ususally. Normally you would only get one at around 20 weeks but some consultants give you one as well at regular visits. The only annoying thing is the waiting time at visits (around 1,5 hours) - otherwise I'm very happy.

Advertisement