Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance for an African trek

Options
  • 06-11-2011 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

What travel insurance package would you recommend for a 3 week trek in Ethiopia?
    What companies are best?
    best to just get cover for trip or get a year plan?
    Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I used World Nomads on previous trip. Discount of 6% using this link if it still works http://www.yearinthelife.org/insurance.php.

As to whether you need a yearly policy or not depends on whether you are going away again. If you are you might be better with a more conventional policy like getcover.ie, vhi.ie, justcover.ie but you would need to read the small print for exclusions and in particular the bit about making a claim . I did extensive research at the time as I wanted to have cover for white water rafting, moped, bungee jumping etc. One of these fine days I might do an analysis of each plan.

If you do get an Irish policy I would not take discount if you are an existing health insurance policy due to the claiming process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭CurtisPadd

thanks for reply. i will book something this week and let you know the cost and small print
    thanks.
    PC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Prior to travelling for a year my wife and I had VHI health insurance. If we cancelled it we'd have to serve our waiting periods all over again (5 years for pre existing conditions) so in order to prevent that we took out VHI Global
    https://www.vhi.ie/info/global/index.jsp
    It was expensive but it served it's purpose as by taking it out we were carrying on our health insurance and thus didn't have to serve waiting periods again. It also covered everything although thankfully we didn't use it.

Advertisement