Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accountable for not doing job .

Options
  • 06-11-2011 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

People in any profession who are not doing their job correctly dont appear to be accountable ,i.e m.r cardiff and 3 billion.Not only keep their job but put forward for a more senior position with better salary and perks.What happened to being sacked on the spot for incompetence. One time i remember working on a project where the site-foreman and 2 "carpenters"were sacked on the spot because of bad sloppy work .How is the same principal not applied in any profession ?.Some people just dont give a **** .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Did that Cardiff guy get promoted? What other examples OP? How does not being sacked mean the person themselves hasn't taken accountability?
    And sacking someone on the spot for making a mistake would set a very dangerous precedent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm glad we can't sack civil servants on the spot

Do you want to be like the USA where every new administration moves their cronies and supporters into the top jobs and sacks the old ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Dudess wrote: »
    Did that Cardiff guy get promoted? What other examples OP? How does not being sacked mean the person themselves hasn't taken accountability?
    And sacking someone on the spot for making a mistake would set a very dangerous precedent.

Sacking someone on the spot pretty much guarantees a lawsuit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I'm a retired accountant. Not happy this is described as an "accounting error". My guess is the Department Of Finance is accountant free / light, and they can't tell their ar5e from their elbow.
    In my day "debit" was near the door, and "credit" was near the window. I'm not charging the Department Of Finance for this training. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭scatter

He was put forward for a AUDITORS job in europe .He will be getting some golden handshake when he leaves his present position not to mention the salary and perks if hes appointed to new job.Do you think that a person in a job and not being able or being effiicient at it should not be sacked.I mean take cardiff ,great salary and pension and golden handshake which reflects the position he is in ,incompetence and he will still be rewarded.Any job with any salary ,it should be recognised that if your incapable ,incompetent or just plain stupid you will be fired.

• Advertisement

mikemac wrote: »
    I'm glad we can't sack civil servants on the spot

Do you want to be like the USA where every new administration moves their cronies and supporters into the top jobs and sacks the old ones
    I mean sack the incompetent one who reflect badly on the people doing their job correctly. As for cronies and supporters bein appointed i think its very much the same here.Look at the quangos .board this ,committee for that.

mackg wrote: »
    Sacking someone on the spot pretty much guarantees a lawsuit
    Sacking them for their incompetence shouldnt warrant a lawsuit,unless the incompetent person was the one being brought to court to answer for their actions or lack of.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

scatter wrote: »
    Sacking them for their incompetence shouldnt warrant a lawsuit,unless the incompetent person was the one being brought to court to answer for their actions or lack of.

what?

youve never made a mistake? why would you want everyone working with a knife to their throat worried they might slip up.

this train of thought is counter productive. its been well researched and its been shown that this mentality leads people to cover up their mistakes rather then telling people about them.

it would be much better to encourage people to admit mistakes, rather then encourage them to cover it up.

As for mr. cardiff, who knows how it happened, but a high profile job, leads to high profile mistakes. i dont think its fair to start a witch hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Love the thread title :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nobody is infallible. Some don't want to face that fact when it comes to this case, due to the magnitude of the mistake - and that's understandable - but mistakes can happen anywhere and to anyone.
    Working in customer service really opened my eyes to this - beforehand I would have believed all the assumptions and conspiracy theories, but when you're not actually there in the background you've no idea - all you can do is guess. A cock-up and outright incompetence can be mutually exclusive.

Not all is how it seems...

• Advertisement
Advertisement