Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

annoyed - no interview

Options
  • 06-11-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

hi - i am probably venting here but I received a call from an agency in relation to a job a couple of weeks back - The job is in specialized industry which I did not expect a herd of candidates here in comparison to other industries i.e. the job spec is industry specific. My point is that I more than covered the requirements of the position and it also asked for degree which I have obtained a masters in this area only lately.

I have worked on my cv very well and I am getting call backs for other jobs! However with this position I am surprised that I have not made it to an interview stage?I have been informed of this! any suggestions here?move on and get over it?

Reason it bothers me is that this position in this industry does not come along all too often!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Quite possible that other candidates had even more experience than you , it is always dissappointing when a job that you seem to be perfect for passes you by without explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

franco25 wrote: »
    Reason it bothers me is that this position in this industry does not come along all too often!

Your CV may have never gotten into the company because there may have never been a job, or the job was canceled or never came on stream. Agencies in their touting for business have a tendency to jump the gun if it seems they can get in first - no agency will ever admit this to you.

Or perhaps your CV did get into the company and the guy reviewing it didn't like it because it is better then his, or maybe they we able to promote internally but had to go through the motions anyway, or perhaps there was someone that was a better fit for that particular job in that particular company.

Have been in the same boat and probably will be again, frustrating yes, but you just have to notch it down to experience and move on :(

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

franco25 wrote: »
    My point is that I more than covered the requirements of the position and it also asked for degree which I have obtained a masters in this area only lately.

It sounds like you were over-qualified, this can often be as limiting as being under-qualified. Over-qualified people often jump ship as soon as a higher level job comes along, so often the person with the best fit gets the job rather than the over-qualified person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

Ask.

Send a short, polite email asking them for a couple of minutes of their time to explain why you weren't shortlisted so you can work on it for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I am am aware of a case in recent weeks of a person being informed of a position & sending CV etc into the agency, hears nothing and then happens to mention the job to another person - this other person knew the MD and encouraged the candidate to write directly to the company.

Eventually the person got the job and, amazingly, received a letter from the agency the day after job confirmation (from the company) saying that they were not suitably qualified for the position!!

You should consider sending a C.V. into the company off your own bat and ask to be considered for any positions that may arise, dont mention the position you had been going for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭franco25

Great stuff! Will try something like that - nothing to loose! Thanks to everyone for all the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

dixiefly wrote: »
    I am am aware of a case in recent weeks of a person being informed of a position & sending CV etc into the agency, hears nothing and then happens to mention the job to another person - this other person knew the MD and encouraged the candidate to write directly to the company.

Eventually the person got the job and, amazingly, received a letter from the agency the day after job confirmation (from the company) saying that they were not suitably qualified for the position!!

You should consider sending a C.V. into the company off your own bat and ask to be considered for any positions that may arise, dont mention the position you had been going for.

Absolutely!! Agencies are well known for doing this. I applied for a job for which I was well qualified and had plenty of experience through a well-known agency. After much umming and aahing, I was told that I didn't have the experience required by the client.

I applied for the same role through another agency - and got the job!

I suppose screening candidates is subjective, but that experience added a bit more to the sour taste left by employment agencies where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Today I had a missed call. and I knew it was one of the companies I applied for an internship and I felt disgusted seeing it.

I rather take the call go for the interview and fail it than to miss the feckin call.

some might say i acting a bit OTT but in this certain age you cant afford to be doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Today I had a missed call. and I knew it was one of the companies I applied for an internship and I felt disgusted seeing it.

I rather take the call go for the interview and fail it than to miss the feckin call.

some might say i acting a bit OTT but in this certain age you cant afford to be doing so.

As long as you ring back in a reasonable amount of time, nobody is going to hold missing the call against you, unless you were told you were having a telephone interview at 10am or something.

Recruiters know that people have lives and study/work means they can't always answer unanticipated phonecalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

As long as you ring back in a reasonable amount of time, nobody is going to hold missing the call against you, unless you were told you were having a telephone interview at 10am or something.

Recruiters know that people have lives and study/work means they can't always answer unanticipated phonecalls.

I would have done that but the call had a blocked number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement