Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nikon camera €144.99 @Argos

Options
  • 06-11-2011 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

saw this and thought it was a good deal
    picked one up myself after checking reviews

Nikon COOLPIX L120 14MP Digital Bridge Camera. 559/6007

might help someone out on the look for a new camera

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

How much and where?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

dolittle wrote: »
    might help someone out on the look for a new camera

You don't make it easy for us :)

That is an Argos number. Current price €144.99. Cheaper than eBay!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

jabus lads sorry about that
    head up me hole
    my apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i have this pretty decent camera only thing is you can select shutter speed

some pic i took with it http://pix.ie/dunworth1/album/424354

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Thanks OP, collecting mine tomorrow :D
    Seems to be out of stock in a lot of stores now but some stores give you the option to order in the red model, which is slightly dearer at €159.99, it says the current selling price is valid until 22/11 though.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5596746/Trail/searchtext%3ENIKON+CAMERA.htm

http://www.checkargos.com/index.php?productId=559%2F6746

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

anybody else have any comments on the quality of the camera. buying one for herself for christmas and wondering if this is good value.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

chasm wrote: »
    Thanks OP, collecting mine tomorrow :D
    Seems to be out of stock in a lot of stores now but some stores give you the option to order in the red model,

I tried reservering one in swords on order however it won't allow me too so seems to be gone bar a 2 stores which have one each

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

memaul wrote: »
    anybody else have any comments on the quality of the camera. buying one for herself for christmas and wondering if this is good value.

thanks

lots of user reviews here

Also Amazon has lots of reviews

When I see lots of great reviews I also like to look for the bad ones and gauge the level of compromise I'd be looking to make if buying it.

One reviewer says it's too simplistic and doesn't give you a lot of control, changing settings etc.
    dunworth1 above says something similar with the shutter speed.
    Now this will be a problem eventually if the user wants to learn more about photography but at that price they will more than likely use it to learn how to compose a shot etc and eventually will move over to an SLR anyway in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't see the point in these cameras, either buy a compact digital camera or buy a proper DSLR camera.

For not much more money you could get a Canon 350D on eBay which, while it's an old model, would be much much better than a bridge camera for anyone who is interested in getting into photography.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I don't see the point in these cameras, either buy a compact digital camera or buy a proper DSLR camera.

For not much more money you could get a Canon 350D on eBay which, while it's an old model, would be much much better than a bridge camera for anyone who is interested in getting into photography.

Thta's true but on the other hand how much will the lenses to take you from 25-535mm cost for a DSLR?

I think this could be a good entrylevel camera or something to bring to gigs and events when you don't want the bulk of your DSLR.

Thta's true but on the other hand how much will the lenses to take you from 25-535mm cost for a DSLR?

At least you have the option of purchasing different lenses for different purposes. With the bridge camera you're stuck with one lens and a digital zoom, the same as you'd get with any compact. And you'd end up upgrading to a DSL camera anyway.

The 350d is a great entry level DSL, if you want to go to a gig and don't want bulk then a compact is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭savemejebus

With the bridge camera you're stuck with one lens and a digital zoom, the same as you'd get with any compact. .

Correct me if i'm wrong but does this camera not feature one lens with a 21x optical zoom which goes from a wide angle 25mm to 535 mm with 4 x digital on top of that bringing it to a blurrtastic 2100mm?

BTW I'm not disputing the superiority of a DSLR over these bridge cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Bagel

All the black out of stock in all stores, the red one is available in Arklow and Wexford if any good to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

I picked up one of these today. I would have missed it if not for dolittle and Davy. Thank you.

Having only ever used compact cameras, this little beauty is like having my eyes opened fully for the first time.

Great camera for a novice wanting to learn a little more and take some better photos without spending stupid money on a DSLR and lenses.

If there is one of these available in Red for a little more money, snap it up while it's still available.

Best bargain since the Touchpad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

Quick question - I realise these have better zoom than a compact, but is the actual quality of the photos better in this camera than an equivalent 14Mpix compact camera at the same zoom level?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

ripcord wrote: »
    Quick question - I realise these have better zoom than a compact, but is the actual quality of the photos better in this camera than an equivalent 14Mpix compact camera at the same zoom level?

Thanks

Yes it would. I've a 8MB bridge camera like this one and the quality of shots is much better than a higher MP compact. My brother has a 12MP compact and mine takes a much better shot. I'd buy this except mine still hasn't gave me a problem in the last 4 years.

MP isn't relavent to the quality of the photo, MP only refers to the size of the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Can you have a blurred background effect on this?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

There are quite a good few of the black back in stock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

Is is possible to get a case for this that would attach to your belt? I'm used to having my compact's case attached to my belt - I wouldn't like the idea of carrying a camera on a strap over my shoulder...

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

i have a reservation code for the camera in the tullamore branch if anyone wants it. its available for pickup till 6pkm today.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ripcord wrote: »
    Is is possible to get a case for this that would attach to your belt? I'm used to having my compact's case attached to my belt - I wouldn't like the idea of carrying a camera on a strap over my shoulder...

Thanks! :)

I'd say the camera is too big for this being honest. It's a bridge, so it's not something that will fit into your pocket even.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kavsmdf

I had a black one reserved in Clonmel, should be back on the site tomorrow as I have decided against it. It looks like a fantastic camera, but I'm more of a compact man myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

kavsmdf wrote: »
    but I'm more of a compact man myself!

I caught the tail end of an ad on RTE last night for a decent looking Sony compact camera - anyone hear of it? It's just out I assume..

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TRISHKA

Picked up one of these yesterday, lovely wee camera, many thanks OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

kcb wrote: »
    I caught the tail end of an ad on RTE last night for a decent looking Sony compact camera - anyone hear of it? It's just out I assume..
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NEX5NKB-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B005JQTHCC

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    Can you have a blurred background effect on this?

its widest aperture is F3.1 also its no fixed, so as you zoom in this reduces, so unlikely unless you are very careful with your framing of shot and even then it wouldnt be great, tbh I don't see the purpose of bridge cameras, they advertise all the features of an slr less the interchangeable lens, but the results usually leave alot to be desired, a second hand dslr and 50mm 1.8 wouldnt cost much more and you would take your photography up a huge level and if you actually interested in photography, the constraints of a bridge camera will make up regret your purchase within a very short time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Did anyone get offered the case and 4gb memory card at half price when they bought this camera?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MP isn't relavent to the quality of the photo, MP only refers to the size of the photo.
    actually
    http://6mpixel.org/en/

if the individual sensor is less than 3 microns you will have problems
    of course if you get camera shake of more than a pixel it's all kinda moot

if you knew the size of the CCD you could check out at what point you hit diminishing returns.
    Digital single lens reflection cameras (SLRs) basically show the same behaviour but the sensor of those cameras and the single pixel is much bigger. Therefore, the cameras have higher sensitivities and show less noise. The high quality lenses provide the necessary resolution and the cameras are designed for high pixel counts.

The best compromise for a compact camera is a sensor with 6 million pixels or better the size of a pixel with >3µm .

Below you can find a comparison of sensor sizes. We calculated how many pixels have space to be in a sensor if one pixel has a size of 3 µm which we believe to be a minimum size for good image quality at higher sensitivity levels (>ISO 400).

Advertisement