Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Join Goldstone Gym or Kingfisher Gym Waterford City??

Options
  • 05-11-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Hi Im looking to know peoples options on the two gyms Goldstone Gym and Kingfisher Gym Waterford City. Do they have personal trainers, good equipment etc, as I want a gym where they can tell/show me how to use the equipment and who can do out a proper program for free weight and machines etc, Im mainly interested in the weights/ reisitance part. I dont know a huge amount about weight lifting techinique so the more helpfyl the instructors the better. Thanks biggrin.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Hi Im looking to know peoples options on the two gyms Goldstone Gym and Kingfisher Gym Waterford City. Do they have personal trainers, good equipment etc, as I want a gym where they can tell/show me how to use the equipment and who can do out a proper program for free weight and machines etc, Im mainly interested in the weights/ reisitance part. I dont know a huge amount about weight lifting techinique so the more helpfyl the instructors the better. Thanks biggrin.gif

I don't know anything about Goldstone, but there seems to be a lot on here that go there and love it.

Spirit is great btw...nice staff and there's a bunch of lads always around the weights that are very hepful.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

Cheers Thanks for the info, I may look into sprit gym aswell

I will say, I think those other gyms are much bigger than Spirit. I went to spirit from the Tower so that was a big step up for me. The tower is marginally bigger than my en suite bathroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i,m a member of goldstone have been since last jan, i,m into my weight lifying big time and this gym offers a lot for the likes of me and if your into cardio it offers a lot for you too, the instructors are A1 and know there stuff they even have nutritionist who can give ya advice free of charge an appointment has to be made to see him and they give one on one advice and run throughs of your personal program, all exercise classes are free of charge again your name would have to be put down for an alloted time as these are very popular

Im a member of Goldstone also so forgive me if I sound a bit biased.

Ive been a member of a couple of gyms and I think Goldstone is the best Ive been to by far, in regards to the equipment and the staff. The Equipment is all pretty much brand new and there is stuff there I've never seen in a gym before. The staff are fantastic, they are all really sound and they know their stuff. Also it is great value for money.

The one thing that Kingfisher might have over Goldstone is the pool. If you are adamant about a pool then Kingfisher might be your choice but if you are not too bothered about a pool then I would definitely recommend Goldstone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

goldstone

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

Thanks everyone so far, Goldstone really seems to be the most popular place, I could live without the pool alright, May try get a day pass to look around Goldstone soon :D

I couldn't cope without the pool...a great reward after the bit of hard work ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I wouldn't really recommend Kingfisher. I'm stuck there as I've paid my membership and I'm determined to use it. There are so many pieces of equipment broken all of the time. You could wait a half hour if not longer to get on one of the weight machines.

I find their trainers really lack the ability to offer training or advice to people in the gym, maybe that's just my experience though. I was a member of Kingfisher for 3 months before one of the trainers told me the way I was carrying out a particular move was incorrect and ineffective.

The changing rooms in Kingfisher are a nightmare too. They allow toddlers and young children the use of the swimming pool (not sure if all gyms do this) and parents seem to think it's okay to just abandon buggies and changing bags and all the paraphernalia you need for kids all over the changing room. I'm not begrudging anyone the use of the facilities but I think if Kingfisher are going to offer these classes then they should really offer larger changing facilities or somewhere for parents to put buggies (which are obviously not going to fit into a locker).

i was a former member of splashworld gym and they too offer the use of the pool but "i never" got to use it as there was always classes on in the pool!! hence i was paying membership for both pool and gym but never got to use the pool even if i wanted a swim after my workout so i find it complete waste of membership fee also the dumbells they had before i lfet were gettin too light for me was curling 35kgs each arm asked for more and was point blank told they would,nt get em so when i heard bout goldstone i left and joined them and have,nt looked back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There will be a discount for Spirit Gym membership for those who get the 2012 Visit Waterford calendar when its out. There is an offer from them in it.

i,d hate to be member of spirit i,d say parking is nightmare down that direction

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

i,d hate to be member of spirit i,d say parking is nightmare down that direction

You can park in Aldi carpark for free, Spirit authorize your ticket before you leave the gym.

The only drawback is walking from the gym to the carpark after dark!

You can park in Aldi carpark for free, Spirit authorize your ticket before you leave the gym.

The only drawback is walking from the gym to the carpark after dark!
    would ya feel safe walkin to ur car down there after dark?? i,m a fella and i defo would,nt

Advertisement