Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ever go to see Justice "administered in public"?

Options
  • 05-11-2011 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭

That is, do you ever take a wander into your local district or circuit courts, or pop into the four courts and watch trials, hearings etc, as is your right? Have you any interest in doing so?

I've an academic interest so I have been in to view legal proceedings a number of times and mostly its either empty or has a few people there who have a direct interest in the case.

So boardsies, do you ever go to watch the law at work out of idle curiosity or is the only time you see the inside of a courtroom when you or a family member gets charged for blasting a Garda with piss?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

No - I just sit at home watching old episodes of Rumpole of The Bailey instead, saves me a busfare tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Have been in the audience in 13 and 14 at the Bridewell a few times. A good bit of comedy gold in that circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Too busy working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I thought this was going to be about kneecapping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    That is, do you ever take a wander into your local district or circuit courts, or pop into the four courts and watch trials, hearings etc, as is your right? Have you any interest in doing so?

I've an academic interest so I have been in to view legal proceedings a number of times and mostly its either empty or has a few people there who have a direct interest in the case.

So boardsies, do you ever go to watch the law at work out of idle curiosity or is the only time you see the inside of a courtroom when you or a family member gets charged for blasting a Garda with piss?

Nope.

Tbh I've always taken the view that there's enough misery in the world without having to go look for someone else's.

To me its a little too voyeuristic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

kfallon wrote: »
    No - I just sit at home watching old episodes of Rumpole of The Bailey instead, saves me a busfare tbh!

I loved that series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Can you just show up and get into view any hearing? I've very little to do on a Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Only for college, it's a depressing thing to watch. Half the time the gardai don't turn up and the case is thrown out. It's a disgrace Joe, and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Too busy working.

You must be so pleased with yourself for that contribution. Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    Can you just show up and get into view any hearing? I've very little to do on a Tuesday.
    Yeah, you can head into any courtroom unless it has an "In camera" sign on the door.

• Advertisement

You must be so pleased with yourself for that contribution. Congratulations.
    Thats just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Helium

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Too busy working.

Defence or Prosecution :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

No, but I saw a joyrider get a belt of a baseball bat a few years ago in public.Turned me off baseball for life...

Helium wrote: »
    Defence or Prosecution :confused:

I am afraid I work much harder than anyone in the legal profession could possibly fathom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Nope.

Tbh I've always taken the view that there's enough misery in the world without having to go look for someone else's.

To me its a little too voyeuristic.

That's a shame, judges are some of the funniest people in the world, at least for non-serious crimes in the district courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Judge Fahy of Galway, she makes Margaret Thatcher seems like a kind old lady

The tongue lashings she gives out :eek:

Loves to humiliate people
    Sometimes it's deserved and sometimes it's just needless

We used to always read the court report in the Advertiser to see what rant she had this week, so did many Galwegians
    If she was on boards she would be mod of Ranting and Raving

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Rich, steamy bowls of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I was in court a while ago for lets say research purposes,- anyway a lad was there for hitch hiking, another person got probation act for 3 offences all drunk and whatever and a lad was convicted for peeing and given a hundred euro fine. Another lad had 20 convictions and was there for assault and was given less of a fine than the pisser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HLecter

what a pisser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I was in court a while ago for lets say research purposes,- anyway a lad was there for hitch hiking, another person got probation act for 3 offences all drunk and whatever and a lad was convicted for peeing and given a hundred euro fine. Another lad had 20 convictions and was there for assault and was given less of a fine than the pisser
    research purposes ....were ya handcuffed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

The folks spent 3 days in Dublin last year and spent one day in that big court house near the train station. They loved it. Loved getting all the juicey details of the case.

Cant say it would be my cup of tea though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I've been a few times, first time it was a murder case and to be honest wasn't very interesting as they were just going into a lot of detail on some particular part.

The other time was just the district court far more interesting as the cases are only a few minutes long so you get to see the whole thing.

I'm sure if you had the time the murder cases could be interesting but just not worth it when only getting a snippet.

With regards to it being voyeuristic, I can kinda see your point when they are going into a lot of detail on some aspects of a persons life who may well just be a witness or is innocent, but at the same time I think it should be publically viewable.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

I used to go watch the proceedings in the courthouse during the summer when i was younger, the courthouse was right beside the tennis court. Its great craic to be honest especially when the accused is blatantly guilty and they try to come up with some bs excuse, the judges and solicitors can be extremely witty. The cases involving some members of the traveling community can be hilarious aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

I've been to a court twice just to watch, once in third year and once in TY.

The first time it was to the local court, it was kinda funny. There was a guy there in trouble for attacking someone in town and first he pretended he couldn't speak English (he could though) and then when the judge asked him who he worked for (as in name, company etc) he said 'my boss'. It's mostly a bunch of right eejits in there, and its often the same people all the time.

The second time was a murder trial in the Four Courts. It was interesting enough, the trial had been going on for ages but we heard most of the story I think. We saw photos of the crime scene too, it was a little bit creepy though. The man who was being tried played the whole can't speak English thing again even though he had a translator :rolleyes:

We left after a while though because some of us were falling asleep :p
    I think we heard a while later that he was guilty, can't remember much else though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

mikemac wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be about kneecapping
    Just in case you are wondering about the wording of the title, I was struggling to word it correctly so I went with a direct quote from the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Been on a jury once.

What struck me was,at least in the case we were involved with, how the whole thing seemed like a play, with barristers,Gardai,even the accused (he was a lowlife crim with numerous convictions as we heard afterwards) all playing their parts.

It's said that experienced barristers are frustrated actors and if you attend a court session you'll see how true this is.

I would recommend it if you are bored of an afternoon on any Thursday in any big town.If the flag outside the courthouse is flying and there are dodgy charcters in suits hanging around (solicitors and defendants) smoking ciggies then head on in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I love going to watch court cases, but i feel kinda weird doing it. So whenever anyone I vaguely know has to go to court for whatever reason, usually motoring offences, I go with them, and convince them that they need to be there really early, just so I can here the judge ripping the piss out of the local town drunk lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mickjg

Went to the court in Ennis one fine September Friday afternoon. Very boring. There was an interesting case involving an American who worked at immigration in Shannon who was there for some case about a dog either attacking him or his neighbour. One of them was found guilty and ordered to pay money to the other person who said they would donate it to charity.

The rest of the cases involved numerous travellers (a number of whom I recognised) not being tried and being told to go home or come back another day, followed by numerous driving offences, many of which were just thrown out.

Judge Mangan doesn't like to waste his time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No. Don't get why someone would just for the sake of it. Seems a bit smug.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I don't think it is smug, especially if you have an interest in law. Plus the judiciary is a critical component of a democracy. I've always meant to go to a trial; when I went to college in Washington DC my friends and I were always talking about going to Supreme Court hearings, but we never got in line in time to get in for the most interesting cases. I do make it a point to read the Supreme Court's decisions for big cases though.

And, yes, I am comfortable with my nerd-dom. :p

Advertisement