Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet Forum

Options
  • 05-11-2011 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm just wondering why the Archery forum is like a ghost town? The Archery scene in Ireland isn't exactly small, and there are shoots/ events almost on a fortnightly basis.

What could we do to spruce this place up and make it more attractive to new and regular posters?

PS, Anyone shooting at Dunbrody SBG tomorrow? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

Lardy wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm just wondering why the Archery forum is like a ghost town? The Archery scene in Ireland isn't exactly small, and there are shoots/ events almost on a fortnightly basis.

What could we do to spruce this place up and make it more attractive to new and regular posters?

PS, Anyone shooting at Dunbrody SBG tomorrow? :D
    Nope but I'm breaking in a new Bear Charge tonight in Derry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Nice! Been thinking of crossing over to the dark side and getting another compound. That or new limbs for the recurve! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

I'm not looking back. - Whisper quiet and hits like a freight train. It's a tad expensive compared to a good recurve, but the fiddling around you get to do with it appeals to me.

Now I just have to relearn how to shoot.....

Love a good challenge me.:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Allosaur wrote: »
    .... but the fiddling around you get to do with it appeals to me.

The truth will out! ;)

I've a pet theory that shooting a compound helps with shooting barebow, care to put it to test in a couple of years?:)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

I don't visit here too often but I do look around.

I think that pictures of equipment or people or parts of people using equipment (if people are too shy to show their faces) would be an excellent way of growing the appeal of the Archery section on Boards.ie

• Advertisement

Yeah, deffo. I was also thinking of posting up the shoot reports/ results/ Gains charts/ pics etc after the shoots. Might also be handy to sticky a link to the shoot calendar? I can only speak about the Field Archery side of things though, as i'm not involved in the Target Archery at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hey Lardy,

Looking to dust off my very basic Recurve bow. Just have to source some good arrows and start shooting again.

Hey Whitelightrider,

Where are you based? If you're local, you're more than welcome to come over and shoot a few of mine until you get sorted. I can recommend a few good places, but i'm not going to pimp them on the open forum. :)

Matt.

Hey Whitelightrider,

Where are you based? If you're local, you're more than welcome to come over and shoot a few of mine until you get sorted. I can recommend a few good places, but i'm not going to pimp them on the open forum. :)

Matt.

Hey Matt,

Based down in Galway. Would you be able to PM me some places to get arrows? Was going to look on Ebay but last time I did that the arrows crumpled when I shot them!!
    Could you recommend a target, or something maybe a person could make at home to shoot into?
    Cheers,
    Gordon

Sent you a PM Gordon.....

And here is a cool vid on how to make your own target... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXJLaml6YYw

• Advertisement

Sent you a PM Gordon.....

And here is a cool vid on how to make your own target... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXJLaml6YYw

Thats savage Matt. Thanks for that. Ill have a word to my bro in law and get him to give me a hand with the target.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭madison2011

Do you know of any groups out there willing to invite some new people to give archery a try?

What type of Archery are you looking to try? Field Archery or Target Archery?

Here is a link to the IFAF website. Just give your local club a call, and i'm sure they will accommodate you. :)

http://www.irishfieldarchery.com/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 olymacfoogal

The iaaa clubs are here: www.archery.ie They do mostly target but Woodbrook do field too. Depends on where you are.

For making targets I used to go to the local petrol station and ask them for the bales of cardboard they all make for recycling. They are tight enough to stop a recurve and a compound (only tested up to 60 pounds). You just have to be selective and avoid the ones with metal staples :) They last longer when you shoot into the layers rather than face on. Also if you use carpet as a backstop they will live longer.

Or you could buy a small layered foam target from quicks.co.uk. archeryshop.ie or kilmorearcherycentre. Altservices.co.uk don't do targets atm. There is another shop in Trim? I think, maybe someone could post the name as I forget. I bought one of these. It works great and is nice and light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Clooney George

Nice! Been looking at traversing over to the disadvantage and getting another substance. That or new divisions for the recurve!
    http://www.mphenterprises.co.uk/creative_services.html

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Hi all,

Apologies, I'm mod'ing here and have been running up my own ()() for the last few months sorting out some life changes. Only getting back to the board now.

If anyone has ideas that need my help to spruse up the forum let me know!

All the best

P

PS: Been mentioned in this thread that barebow and compound may help each other. Been coaching both for some years (and am a compounder myself) and I can tell you that when shot correctly, BB and Cpd more resemble each other that either resembles recurve. Strange but true - one of those odd archery things. :)

Timmyboy wrote: »
    I don't visit here too often but I do look around.

I think that pictures of equipment or people or parts of people using equipment (if people are too shy to show their faces) would be an excellent way of growing the appeal of the Archery section on Boards.ie

My sanctuary! :D

IMG-20120118-00010.jpg

Advertisement