Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to The CAO again after dropping out

Options
  • 05-11-2011 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have the year off after dropping out after first year and thankfully have a job to keep me going until September
    I'm going to start my CAO again soon but have a few questions.

The course I really want to do, is 30 or so points above my points at the moment,
    will putting down my year done (in a similar course) on the cao make any difference to my chances of getting this without the points?

Also, I'm aware I will have to pay the "full" fees for my first year starting september. Does anyone have a rough idea how much it is?
    And then starting 2nd year etc. it goes back to the €2000? Is that correct?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rkinv

im in the same boat as yourself..acceptance to courses in ireland is purely CAO controlled though so unless the points go down this year your first year won't stand..itd make a difference to if you were applying to england/scotland though so you could look at that!..fees (for ucd anyway) are €5320 + €2000 registration..and you'll only have to pay the €7320 for first year then back to two grand for the rest of the course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

im in the same boat too...

points for the course i want to do were 5 points higher than what i have :/

maybe they'll drop by 5 this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

That's the hope, haha, thanks.

Would I be wrong in thinking that Uni's would be more willing to let you in if you were 5 or 10 or maybe even 15 points off the cut off if you were already in a college, and therefore paying them 5,000 more or whatever the amount comes to?

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Keano! wrote: »
    That's the hope, haha, thanks.

Would I be wrong in thinking that Uni's would be more willing to let you in if you were 5 or 10 or maybe even 15 points off the cut off if you were already in a college, and therefore paying them 5,000 more or whatever the amount comes to?

:o
    No

The CAO, as mentioned, is completely points based

The only applications were any previous college study is relevant would be a mature student, or advanced entry application

OP, have u checked if you're eligible for a grant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

I'm in the same boat. I dropped out of UCD arts and thinking about applying to commerce in UCD now. I was a bit young for college anyway. I got 455 points in the leaving. The points for the course this year were 445. But with the bonus points for honours maths now the points will go up a bit! But then again the increase in registration fees may counterbalance this. Hopefully it doesn't go up above 455! I think I'll put it no.1 anyway and put Galway commerce no.2. God will decide where I go! :D

I think I want to be an accountant but not really sure so I think the commerce course would be better for me. I didn't like the arts course I was doing in UCD + the large class sizes. I know UCD is bigger than NUIG but I found out that class sizes in commerce in UCD are small (50 people) and in NUIG its one big class? I want smaller class sizes so was thinking UCD would be better? But then again Galway is a smaller place, I went to their open day and I really liked it. I definitely prefer Galway to Dublin.

I'm a shy person and find it hard to make friends so I think the smaller class sizes would suit me better in UCD. Is it still easy to make friends in Galway if your doing commerce?? I'd be living on campus - probably Corrib village (isn't that were the first years stay? Also, don't you have to book it in January? I remember last year I applied too late and it was booked out and I got the deposit back) Or if that's not good, where do you suggest? Again, I'm a shy person but I still like a bit of fun!

I don't know which to choose! Also, is it easier to get a job if you do commerce in UCD as it has more international recognition and more internships available in Dublin?? The big 4 accountancy firms are in Dublin. Isn't that what all the employers want to see - work experience on your CV. If you don't have work experience it can be difficult to get a job? I'm kinda leaning towards UCD but I really love the big town that is Galway.

Anyone here do commerce in NUIG or UCD please advise me, give me as much info as you can to help me decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

Hi I took a year off without going into college at all, how do I go about applying for the CAO now? Don't you get to keep your points for up to a year after? How does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Your points last forever! All you need to do is re-apply to the CAO.

When filling out your application you'll be asked the year you sat your Leaving Cert and what your exam number was. Fill that in and then you're sorted

Ah thank you so much, I wanted to make sure,didnt want to mess up and fork out 30 euro for nothing, better to be safe than sorry. I dint know the points lasted forever. Anyway thank you again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Gman21

Hi I dropped out of college after two years, I'm going to apply to the CAO again this year. Does anyone know how much I will have to pay for the fees..

• Advertisement

Depends what course you want to do

why do the fee's differ from university's and IT's

Yep and between courses. Im doing a health science so that comes in at around 9 grand but an Arts degree is around 6 grand I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Gman21 wrote: »
    why do the fee's differ from university's and IT's

Some places have more income than others, some have more expenses than others.

About the courses, a health science course is a more practical course and would have equipment, labs, and health and safety associated with it. Most Arts courses are generally learning-based, and rarely go beyond lectures, tutorials and the technology used for language-learning/media etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Explosions in the Sky

Guys I'm in the same situation but how does one go about finding out their Leaving cert number :D, its been three years since I finished school :)

Im not sure exactly but you could try going to your old school and asking the principal or guidance counsellor if they have it on their records? Hope this helps.

i did my leaving cert last june...left my course reapplying this year...i took honours maths last year..this year theres 25 extra points for c3 and above...got a b1..do i get these 25 pts or is it only for people sitting the paper this year?..i was sure i wouldnt get them but someone told me recently that i do? still not convinced though?

rkinv wrote: »
    i did my leaving cert last june...left my course reapplying this year...i took honours maths last year..this year theres 25 extra points for c3 and above...got a b1..do i get these 25 pts or is it only for people sitting the paper this year?..i was sure i wouldnt get them but someone told me recently that i do? still not convinced though?

I am in the same boat. I got a c1 in maths. Hopefully we'l get extra points, but I doubt it.

You do get the extra points

Anita Blow wrote: »
    You do get the extra points

:)sweeeet..how do you know?

• Advertisement

I have to fill in the info on the 1st page name age address payment method and click the option for the year i took the LC between or whatever. Then Do I put my exam number in on the next page?

rkinv wrote: »
    :)sweeeet..how do you know?
    The new rule is retrospective so applies too people who have previously sat Honours maths. It's on the college websites

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

I left college (level 8 course, NCI) in early December 2009 to persue other things for a while. Don't suppose anyone can tell me where I stand in relation to fees etc?? Thinking of going back to do a higher cert but can't find an answer anywhere at the moment! :confused:

all depends on NCI's dropping out policy! i was in ucd and if i hadnt left by 1st oct id be forced to pay everything again next year...but in nuig you have till christmas...trinity if you leave by christmas you only have to pay half the fees...so email nci fees office!

I just saw there that you should post a certificate of attendance to the CAO within 7 days. Is this necessary if you are applying online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kati3kins

hey!
    I was just wondering, how soon can you start applying to CAO for 2013.? Iv tried googling it but cant find anything!
    do any of ye know?

November

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kati3kins

thank u!:)

Advertisement