Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restricted r6 insurance and ecu question?

Options
  • 05-11-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭

I am looking to get a bike soon, I have read all about how the bike has to be restricted. I am looking at getting a 07/08 r6 and getting it restricted, I am well aware it probably wont drive well restricted but I dont really care tbh.

Before people start going off on one because of the bike, i have ridden mx bikes growing up and ridden a moped on the road through my teens so I am well able to ride and the bike being restricted means it wont be more powerful than any mx bike I have ridden recently anyway.

First question is on the restrictor, I will probably have to get one put it. I have seen that its either an ecu restriction or a throttle restictor of some sort. I want to do track days and a plug and play ecu removal would be alot easier than trying to remove a throttle restrictor. Does anyone know if this would be hard to get for the r6?
    I know the bikes can be bought restricted from the factory but I am pretty sure yamaha wont sell the restricted ecu and it seems most shops will just put the throttle restrictor in.

Next question would be insurance.
    I am 24 and have a full licence for the last 2 months. Anyone know how much you would be talking ballpark figure for insurance?
    I rang up quinn but they wouldnt give me quote till I owned the bike and clearly Im not going to buy one and then take a punt on how much the insurance would be.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

try quinn online and see what you get...thats how i did it..i don't bother talking to them on the phone as i don't think they know what a bike is...

I have my 2008 cbr600, and i think i pay about 800 for it restricted, but its proving the restriction thats the hard part,
    In my opinion insurance companies in this country have lost the run of themselves when it comes to motorbikes,
    The insurance companies will usually look for either a restriction cert or a graph to prove the restriction,
    I have been stopped twice over the summer by the guards asking for my licence once was a bike cop and he asked if he could take the car for a quick spin to check the restriction, (he didn't find it too funny when i told him i would follow him on his bike).....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

eurofoxy wrote: »
    try quinn online and see what you get...thats how i did it..i don't bother talking to them on the phone as i don't think they know what a bike is...

I have my 2008 cbr600, and i think i pay about 800 for it restricted, but its proving the restriction thats the hard part,
    In my opinion insurance companies in this country have lost the run of themselves when it comes to motorbikes,
    The insurance companies will usually look for either a restriction cert or a graph to prove the restriction,
    I have been stopped twice over the summer by the guards asking for my licence once was a bike cop and he asked if he could take the car for a quick spin to check the restriction, (he didn't find it too funny when i told him i would follow him on his bike).....

Thanks for the help, I only rang them because it wouldnt give me a quote online.
    I will have to try again on monday and say I have the bike and give a fake reg number because when she heard I wanted a quote on a bike I didnt yet own they didnt want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

didnt think the r6 came factory restricted..?

if it does, then should be able to buy a restricted ecu online somewhere (prob second hand from someone moving onto full time de-restricted). Though may be easier buying a restricted one, and looking for an unrestricted ecu then the other way round... may even be some that come with both

throttle restriction on the handlebar end would be easiest to remove for trackdays, followed by ecu swap (provided thats all it is... no HISS etc), then throttle restriction on the throttle bodies end

Wossack wrote: »
    didnt think the r6 came factory restricted..?

if it does, then should be able to buy a restricted ecu online somewhere (prob second hand from someone moving onto full time de-restricted). Though may be easier buying a restricted one, and looking for an unrestricted ecu then the other way round... may even be some that come with both

throttle restriction on the handlebar end would be easiest to remove for trackdays, followed by ecu swap (provided thats all it is... no HISS etc), then throttle restriction on the throttle bodies end

I think you are right, Im pretty sure they dont come factory restricted. I would prefer the ecu restriction because I can just swap the ecu with a full power one on track days. So I guess my only restriction option is the normal throttle restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

I know gsxr6's come factory restricted via ecu if thats any help - good few of them for sale with both restricted and unrestricted ecu's about;

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2649861

for example

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    I know gsxr6's come factory restricted via ecu if thats any help - good few of them for sale with both restricted and unrestricted ecu's about;

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2649861

for example

Thanks for that, clearly a much better choice given that seemingly you can just swap out the ecu for track days on the suzukis.
    Lovely bike in the ad, pity Im not in a position to buy for a few months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

My mate is 25 on a provisional and he's on a GSXR600 with Quinn, has had it since before his 25th birthday and I think he's paying about €80 a month direct debit for 3rd party only. His is restricted with a throttle stop and maybe also a washer. Quinn wouldn't quote him until he owned the bike and wouldn't insure him till they had a copy of the cert. Tried to find a restricted ECU for his bike as its a much better method of being restricted but they are really expensive and hard to find.
    Having driven his bike, the throttle stop kills the bike. You can only twist the throttle to about 1/8th of its normal amount so you can only accelerate slowly and it takes ages for the revs to build.
    Why are you so adamant for an R6? You should look at other bikes. I have an SV650S with an ECU restriction and it's much faster than my mates bike and I also have the full power ECU. The ECUs for the SV650s can be got on-line for around €50 without much bother.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    My mate is 25 on a provisional and he's on a GSXR600 with Quinn, has had it since before his 25th birthday and I think he's paying about €80 a month direct debit for 3rd party only. His is restricted with a throttle stop and maybe also a washer. Quinn wouldn't quote him until he owned the bike and wouldn't insure him till they had a copy of the cert. Tried to find a restricted ECU for his bike as its a much better method of being restricted but they are really expensive and hard to find.
    Having driven his bike, the throttle stop kills the bike. You can only twist the throttle to about 1/8th of its normal amount so you can only accelerate slowly and it takes ages for the revs to build.
    Why are you so adamant for an R6? You should look at other bikes. I have an SV650S with an ECU restriction and it's much faster than my mates bike and I also have the full power ECU. The ECUs for the SV650s can be got on-line for around €50 without much bother.

Cheers for the info.

Seemingly from the info above i would be much better off getting a gixxer instead, more common to find restricted and its an ecu restriction. on the SV just not my taste at all, I just want a superbike.

Just on that note, it is quite hard to find the restricted ecus for the gsxr unless you buy a factory restricted bike but they are more expensive. Don't know how hard or ootherwise it is to find a full power ecu without buying a bike though.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Just on that note, it is quite hard to find the restricted ecus for the gsxr unless you buy a factory restricted bike but they are more expensive. Don't know how hard or ootherwise it is to find a full power ecu without buying a bike though.

If I bought an ecu could a bike shop not reprogram it with a factory restricted map, or then is the bike not factory restricted at all?
    Presumably it is down as restricted in the log book on a factory one.

• Advertisement

I don't think that is possible but if you're going to remove the restrictor anyway, Just get your r6 restricted so you can get insured then take off the throttle stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Would you not consider an SV650? Easy to find plug and play ECUs on eBay.

Spend the money you save on insurance on some advanced lessons and you'll be much faster than you would have been on the R6.

Advertisement