Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Advise: gas boiler starts and stop continually

Options
  • 05-11-2011 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,
    My gas boiler vokera mynute 14e starts and stops continually.
    I am told by mechanic that PCB board is gone. I am not sure he is right ? Net is suggesting that it might be some thermo control device fault.
    Please advice.
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

You need a Registered Gas Installer (RGI) to properly diagnose the fault. The 14e is a system boiler and there could be several reasons for the behavior you describe. If you do not have much confidence in the trouble shooting abilities of the person who looked at it originally your only option is to get a second opinion from a qualified installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

www.rgii.ie for the gas installer in your area.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

When you say 'starts and stops' does it actually fire up at all, or just a pulsing noise but no flame?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭leom

DGOBS wrote: »
    When you say 'starts and stops' does it actually fire up at all, or just a pulsing noise but no flame?
    Yes it fires up, i can see flame from small window.

OK, so doubtful a pcb then, how long does it say fired firing for?
    it there any noise (hissing/banging)?
    the 'clicking you hear just before it fires, does that noise stop before the flame goes out?
    How long does it fire for?

Detail, detail, detail...as much as you can muster

• Advertisement

OK, so doubtful a pcb then, how long does it say fired firing for?
    it there any noise (hissing/banging)?
    the 'clicking you hear just before it fires, does that noise stop before the flame goes out?
    How long does it fire for?

Detail, detail, detail...as much as you can muster
    @DGOBS Thank you so much for your help
    I think it is normal clicking sound when it fires up after 5 seconds when i start it, then after 10 seconds, flame goes out with same clicking sound, it fires up again with same clicking sound- not hissing sound or any abnormal sound.
    There is click sound only when it fires up and click only when flame goes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I had this problem with my boiler a few months ago, and it turned out to be rust/metallic gunk had built up on an immersion temperature sensor, which needed to be replaced as the boiler wasn't getting the correct feedback that the water was heating or not, and so gave up...

If something similar occurs in your case OP, get the RGI technician to check the LPHW filter (if fitted in the boiler) and consider getting the pipework flushed of dirt...

At a guess I would think the Venturi is blocked or dirty, assuming the clicking stops before the flame goes out, ask your service technician (who needs to be RGI registered) to remove the fan and clean the Venturi

If the temperature stat is faulty, there 'should' be a flashing red reset light indicating that fault, they can go 'intermittantly' faulty, but would usually let the boiler fire a bit longer that 10 seconds, but possible.....my bet is still my first guess

At a guess I would think the Venturi is blocked or dirty, assuming the clicking stops before the flame goes out, ask your service technician (who needs to be RGI registered) to remove the fan and clean the Venturi

If the temperature stat is faulty, there 'should' be a flashing red reset light indicating that fault, they can go 'intermittantly' faulty, but would usually let the boiler fire a bit longer that 10 seconds, but possible.....my bet is still my first guess
    there is no flashing light or fire never goes longer than 10 seconds.. it fires up and down exactly in 9 seconds...

Now what do you advise. Should I get boiler changed, as it is 10 years old and have been giving trouble every year or so..
    How much cost should I expect for getting new one installed?
    Thanks

Again, a service, venturi

• Advertisement
Advertisement