Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitute teacher & casual dockets (JSA)

Options
  • 05-11-2011 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone was in the same position as me - considering there are so many unemployed Primary Teachers out there, I presume there is

I recently got approved for JSA using the casual dockets. I work as a substitute teacher, which means I could get a day or two (or more) one week, but mightn't get anything for a few weeks after that. I was delighted to get approved for the dockets as it means a regular income.

The trouble is I was earning €127 per day, however my rate is due to change to €195 when my registration with the Teaching Council comes through. I looked at welfare.ie, and it seems that because my new rate is above the rate for JSA of €188, I will not be entitled to anything. This is fair enough, however what do I do when I have a week, or more where I don't get work at all? It seems unrealistic to sign off and sign on, on a week by week basis?

What do other people do? There doesn't seem to be a proper system for all the unemployed teachers out there, and my SW office find it very hard to comprehend that being a sub means I've no idea from one day to the next whether or not I'm going to get work the next day.

Any help / advice at all would be greatly appreciated. I'm at my wits end with worry. Thanks

Comments

Advertisement