Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find old pamphlets

Options
  • 05-11-2011 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭

I would be very interested in reading a number of old political pamphlets, for example, "The Good Old IRA" written by Danny Morrison, published by either Sinn Féin or the Irish republican publicity bureau.

Where would be a good place to search for republican political pamphlets from the troubles and before like the one above?

I have got my hands on this (rather excellent) book:

brian-hanley-ira-documentary-history.jpg

Which mentions numerous such pamphlets and indeed a small number of issues of An Phoblacht which I would like to take a look at, can anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I would be very interested in reading a number of old political pamphlets, for example, "The Good Old IRA" written by Danny Morrison, published by either Sinn Féin or the Irish republican publicity bureau.

Where would be a good place to search for republican political pamphlets from the troubles and before like the one above?

I have got my hands on this (rather excellent) book:

brian-hanley-ira-documentary-history.jpg

Which mentions numerous such pamphlets and indeed a small number of issues of An Phoblacht which I would like to take a look at, can anyone help?

The archive that Dr Hanley used should be in the bibliography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Nhead wrote: »
    The archive that Dr Hanley used should be in the bibliography.
    I don't have the book on hand, but I think it may have been the UCD archive... I doubt they let strangers walk in off the street and read the stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

There is a copy of the pamphlet in the National Library:
    http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000014804

An Phoblacht also available at NLI:
    http://www.nli.ie/en/catalogues-and-databases-printed-newspapers.aspx - link not working properly sorry - just stick in the name.

The NLI is a library of legal deposit so a copy of all that is published in Ireland is to be deposited there. Some pamphlet type material might be classified as Ephemera and I don't know if all these items are listed in the Main Catalogue. If published in Dublin like the above, technically they should be there.

If it transpires material available at UCD Archives there shouldn't be an issue with access: http://www.ucd.ie/archives/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

CeannRua wrote: »
    There is a copy of the pamphlet in the National Library:
    http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000014804

An Phoblacht also available at NLI:
    http://www.nli.ie/en/catalogues-and-databases-printed-newspapers.aspx - link not working properly sorry - just stick in the name.

The NLI is a library of legal deposit so a copy of all that is published in Ireland is to be deposited there. Some pamphlet type material might be classified as Ephemera and I don't know if all these items are listed in the Main Catalogue. If published in Dublin like the above, technically they should be there.

If it transpires material available at UCD Archives there shouldn't be an issue with access: http://www.ucd.ie/archives/
    Ah thats brilliant, I've never been in the national library, I'll have to head down, sign up and get a card or ticket or whatever is needed and have a read o the stuff I want. Am I right in saying you email them with what you want to see before you head in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Ah thats brilliant, I've never been in the national library, I'll have to head down, sign up and get a card or ticket or whatever is needed and have a read o the stuff I want. Am I right in saying you email them with what you want to see before you head in?

Email or ring UCD their reading room at the archive is very small. The National Library can be availed of by all. If you are ever curious about what is in any archive you can check a library or universities webpage. Dr Hanley delivered an excellent lecture in Maynooth about the IRA and the notion that graffiti appeared in NI saying IRA=I ran away. He was saying that it was a myth and there is no recorded evidence from the time to back up this idea.I think an article appeared in History Ireland. Another of his books that you might be interested in is 'The Lost Revolution'. The story of the offical IRA and the Workers Party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Z Brannigan

I was talking to the guys in the Sinn Féin Bookshop recently and they said that they would be republishing The Good Old IRA early next year along with other old publications which were produced during the Troubles. There's also a good collection of small pamphlets and stuff for sale in there that you probably wouldn't get anywhere else.

The An Phoblacht offices in Dublin also have a complete archive of their work. Not sure if it's available to th epublic but it would be worth ringing and asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

There are some pamphlets available through databases such as Early English Books Online - there might not be a whole lot of ones from a republican viewpoint, but there are definitely some interesting ones regarding events such as the 1641 rebellion and other events.

One of my lecturers gave me the name of a book that discusses various Irish political pamphlets. I can't remember it of the top of my head but I'll look for it and post the name when I find it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Try the RSF bookshop in Parnell street. They seem to be lost in a time warp.

these are the kind of things that are in a lot of peoples homes. Maybe you could place an add in Buy and Sell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

NLI, National Archive and UCD Archive (appointment only) would be the places to check. I've seen said author in the nli a bit.

If it's something that is classed as ephemera in the NLI you'll need to make an appointment too and let them know in advance what youre looking for

Advertisement