Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxed on minimum wage?

Options
  • 05-11-2011 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

As the title suggests, am I liable to be taxed when working for 8.65? I'm beginning a job soon and just want to know exactly how much of my pay will be taken away from me. It'll be part time 20 hours a week and is my first real job so I'm a bit clueless. Also, the Universal Social Charge and PRSI, does that apply to minimum wage workers? If you need to know more, just ask. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Youll be getting slightly less than what i get in my job. Im getting taxed about €10 all in on about a 200€ weekly wage. I actually get taxed about thirty because most of my credits are on another job but you should only be getting taxed <€10

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Thanks for the quick response and i hope that figure is right because i was starting to worry about a large chunk of my earnings going to the taxman :) I was also a little worried cause I know that if you're in college you don't get taxed but i've taken a year out and so I thought maybe I'd get taxed at 20% or something, which is a lot when you consider how much I'm making.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

On a gross of €8,996 per year (€8.65*20*52) you would pay €180 per year (€3.46 per week) in USC.

However, make sure you sort out you credits with Revenue or you will be paying Emergency Tax until you get it sorted.

http://taxcalc.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

You don't pay PRSI just USC charge of around €4-€5 p/w. Goodluck in the new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Yeah will be sorting out the credits on Monday so that should be ok. Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

No tax at the moment, and prsi is pay by the employers for the moment so just USC . Which is a killer on the low earners I pay about 10 euro on my 230 so come out with 220 at the moment.

I know that if you're in college you don't get taxed
    You are taxed on income, not by whether you are studying or nor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I think it's the UK that specifically does not tax students.

The USC will take about €3-6 a week off you, I forget what the exact percentage is. You won't pay PRSI until you earn €330 or more a week, which would be pretty hard on minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I think it's the UK that specifically does not tax students.
    e.

Students are taxed in the uk and so are pensioners. It's not people who are exempt from tax but some types of income - mostly social welfare payments although that may change in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dannyg90

Victor wrote: »
    You are taxed on income, not by whether you are studying or nor.

if your in full time education you don't pay any tax so it does come into account

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Dannyg90 wrote: »
    if your in full time education you don't pay any tax so it does come into account

No, you pay based on income. I was in full time education and full time work, paid full time tax :( poor me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

As a single person on PAYE , you can earn 16.500e tax tree in a calendar year

Wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I have got a part time job, so just signing off my Job seekers, how do I make sure I am not emergency taxed?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

If that was the case, everyone would be signing up to do degrees and never turning up and going off working instead so they could not pay tax! Where do these ideas come from?!

She Devil wrote: »
    I have got a part time job, so just signing off my Job seekers, how do I make sure I am not emergency taxed?!
    Talk to Revenue Commissioners office for the relevant district.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dannyg90

Victor wrote: »
    Wrong!

well i'm in college and have a part time job, i pay no tax

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Universal social charge applies over €4k or so. Income tax only if you earn €8k or so on a single basis. Maybe you don't earn enough to pay tax. There are no categories of individual who are tax exempt in Ireland only types of income!

well i'm in college and have a part time job, i pay no tax
    Presumably only because you aren't earning enough to pay tax.

Advertisement