Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Medical Scientist

Options
  • 05-11-2011 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm currently in the third year of my science course and unfortunately am only beginning to realise that I'd be happier studying to become a medical scientist. What I'm wondering now is how best to go about becoming one. Do I absolutely have to switch to an accredited course (there are only three I think), in which case I believe I'd have to start in first year again, or are there alternative routes such as a masters or whatever. I wouldn't necessarily mind going back to first year, its just that I won't have the grant again so I'm not so sure it would be possible for me to afford it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

Hi everyone, I'm currently in the third year of my science course and unfortunately am only beginning to realise that I'd be happier studying to become a medical scientist. What I'm wondering now is how best to go about becoming one. Do I absolutely have to switch to an accredited course (there are only three I think), in which case I believe I'd have to start in first year again, or are there alternative routes such as a masters or whatever. I wouldn't necessarily mind going back to first year, its just that I won't have the grant again so I'm not so sure it would be possible for me to afford it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance :)

What area of medical Science?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Blue Badger

medical laboratory scientist

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

medical laboratory scientist[/Quote

Sorry, I'm in a different Science based area. No good to you then.
    Good luck.

What area of science are you currently studying? I know that 10 years ago there was such a shortage of qualified medical scientists from the accredited programmes (DIT, UCC/CIT, GMIT) that they had to 'recruit' graduates from life science disciplines such as micro and biochemistry to do a postgraduate programme of one year which allowed them to become qualified medical scientists. As far as I know this programme is no longer run, due to cutbacks and the market currently saturated with graduates from the accredited courses. I don't know if there's anyway of going about qualifying by doing a masters after your degree, certainly not in this country, but I could be wrong, or you may be able to do it in the UK (UK medical scientists are payed pittance compared to their Irish counterparts). You may have to reapply and start from scratch again and incur fees, although you may be allowed exemptions from certain subjects you have already covered and passed in your original degree.

Perhaps contacting the Academy of Medical Laboratory Science someone there could inform you some more www.amls.ie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

At the minute if you want to work as a medical laboratory science in Ireland, you need to have been on an accredited course. If you want to work abroad, it may be possible to work around not having an irish accredited degree.

There is currently a shortage of jobs and an excess of qualified MLS's in Ireland. If this changes, they may recruit from people who have done the transfer masters in galway and dont ahve the relevant undergrad, but as it stands, I know a lot of unemployed qualified candidates, so I wouldnt hold my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

These two sites may provide further info:

Academy of Medical Laboratory Science in Ireland: http://www.amls.ie/home

Medical Laboratory Scientists' Association in Ireland: http://www.mlsa.ie/

Advertisement