Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BREAKING - 'Lives Lost' In 26-Vehicle Motorway Pile-Up - Somerset, England

Options
  • 05-11-2011 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Several people are believed to have been killed and as many as 30 injured in a collision involving 26 vehicles on the M5 motorway in Somerset, England.

A police spokesman said: "There are reports of between 25 and 30 injuries, 10 are believed to be life changing and it is believed that people have lost their lives."

Some 20 light vehicles and six articulated lorries were involved in the smash on the motorway close to junction 25 near Taunton at around 8.30pm.

At least four people who were trapped have been cut free by firefighters.
    Eyewitnesses have reported seeing burning vehicles and casualities and debris strewn across the road, one witness saw a number of explosions and black smoke.

FireFighters have said "it's the worst we've ever seen in our careers"

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16103826

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

So depressing reading stuff like this on a quiet Friday night.

RIP to those that lost there lives and I wish the others good recoveries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Just heard this on the news. Sounds utterly horrific.

RIP to those who have died, and I really hope the rest of the survivors make it and recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Just turned on sky news. Those poor people :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

RIP to all those who died, had to turn the tv off, to upsetting to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Utterly tragic i send my deep condolences to every family who lost a friend or family member in this tragic and shocking incident. I Wish every single person involved in this awful crash will recover to their original self.

• Advertisement

Just went on to the Sky News website and there's footage showing burning cars. ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

I've driven on that road many times and know the area

RIP to all those that lost their lives and thoughts with the family's affected

Posting in AH at this time of night may result in some negative comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Terrible news.

Having said that, since when has AH become the news forum?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Only a matter of time before something similar happens here, considering the average numpty who takes to our Motorways with sheer ignorance and reckless abandon compared to the relatively well mannered English motorway users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Jesus thats mad. Not too far from me.

RIP. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Fcuk.. just flicked over to Sky News there and it was showing a group of people frantically trying to free someone from a car which looked like it was about to ignite. A horrible scene

Just plain tragic, never seen a crash so large. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Hopefully, given the circumstances that it's minimal loss of life.

Terrible news

Just seeing the footage of a massive fire, has to be some poor folks caught inside that.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

scary thing is, this isnt something thats uncommon.
    there was one of these last year or the year before, and 2 big crashes only a year or two before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Please god, i hope there is nobody trapped in them burning cars. This is so sad, RIP to those who have passed away..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Looks like a war zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Jesus Christ, shocking. RIP.

Looks like one of the the trucks jackknifed at the back.

A number of people have been killed in a horrific crash on the M5 tonight.

There were a series of explosions after cars and lorries crashed on the motorway as at least 25 vehicles were involved in the carnage.

Some people are thought to have been burned to death as they were trapped in the cars in the accident which happened in foggy conditions.

The motorway between junctions 23 and 26 - an 18 mile section - was closed off in both directions and police said it was likely the main access to the Westcountry would remain shut for the next 24 hours.

At least 25 to 30 people have been hurt and police say 10 of those have suffered life changing injuries.

But Avon and Somerset police admitted a number of people have been killed in the crash.

At least 25 vehicles have been involved in the crash and some eye witnesses said they heard loud explosions which involved HGVs and possibly petrol tankers.

One witness said: ”The fog at the time was really bad. Headlights were bouncing back, you could not see a thing.”

Emergency crews from all over Somerset and Devon raced to the scene. Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said that 20 cars and light vehicles were involved in the multiple crash along with six artic lorries.

Fifteen fire crews from across Devon and Somerset are at the scene, which has been described by witnesses as “horrific”.

Jason Sharp, who was at a nearby rugby club, said: “It was a horrific accident that we have just witnessed. There were a number of explosions and black smoke.

“It’s not something you expect to see on the motorway, it was more like a scene from Afghanistan.”

Jon Adair, who passed the incident on the other carriageway, described it as “the worst traffic accident I’ve ever seen”.

Twenty cars and six lorries were involved in the collision, which took place in wet and foggy conditions on Friday evening.

Four of the vehicles, including two lorries, were on fire with reports of motorists trapped in their vehicles.

Avon and Somerset Police chief inspector Paul Mogg said: “All emergency services are on the scene doing as much as they can to continue the rescue operation and to treat those who are injured.

“There are large tailbacks at present and we would urge all to avoid the area for the next 24 hours at least.”

The police added they expected the motorway between junction 23 and 26 to remain shut for the next 24 hours.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/11/04/m5-crash-motorway-deaths-as-26-vehicle-pile-up-closes-road-in-somerset-115875-23538838/#ixzz1cmgXMDFh

From the mirror

Sky News footage is upsetting. It's hard to see how anyone could walk away unscathed.

• Advertisement

Evaex wrote: »
    That's why we leave adequate braking distances.

Reminds me of Kate Moyles who smashed into a fire brigade truck on the M7 in dense fog 4 years ago. She and other drivers continued travelling at 120kmp/h + on the morning in question even though visibility was less than a few meters.
    I have to agree, and some people in this country are the worset at this, i do try to keep a good distance on the roads, but some pr!ck always pulls into the space i try to keep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Evaex wrote: »
    That's why we should leave adequate braking distances, and only travel as fast as the distance within which we can clearly see and brake within.

Reminds me of Kate Moyles who smashed into a fire brigade truck on the M7 in dense fog 4 years ago. She and other drivers continued travelling at 120kmp/h + on the morning in question even though visibility was less than a few meters.

Let the girl rest in peace, she has no place in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I have to agree, and some people in this country are the worset at this, i do try to keep a good distance on the roads, but some pr!ck always pulls into the space i try to keep.

Did not take long for ye to forget the tragedy in the UK and the reason this thread was started.
    It's the reason these threads annoy me.

hondasam wrote: »
    Did not take long for ye to forget the tragedy in the UK and the reason this thread was started.
    It's the reason these threads annoy me.
    So are you saying that people keep a safe distance over here??.. What happend in the UK is a massive tragedy. I don't understand why you are pi..ing you're pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Evaex

hondasam wrote: »
    Let the girl rest in peace, she has no place in this thread.

It's a similiar situation. Her parents called for warning signs to be placed on motorways warning of the dangers of travelling too fast in fog at her inquest.

Similiar conditions to this accident.

Heavy fog seems to be a condition drivers are inept at dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

If there was a god maybe this sort of crap wouldnt happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Credit to the rapid response of the emergency services. Not meaning to diss Ireland's emergency services but I shudder to think how efficiently (or not) they would deal with a tragedy like this if, god forbid, it happened

Always sad to see a thread like this dragged off topic. And it only took 3 pages.:rolleyes:

Sky News are saying that at least 10 people have life changing injuries. Some people are saying that they could feel the heat on the other side of the carriageway, shows how big the fire is.

lizt wrote: »
    Always sad to see a thread like this dragged off topic. And it only took 3 pages.:rolleyes:

Sky News are saying that at least 10 people have life changing injuries. Some people are saying that they could feel the heat on the other side of the carriageway, shows how big the fire is.

Have to agree, shame to see many off-topic and inappropriate comments.

The emergency service's in ireland must prepare for a large crash like this it's so easy to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

shouldn't they just change the speed limit in bad weather conditions then people wouldn't be allowed to be portrayed as blameless heros when the crash at high speed.

Advertisement