Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EmergencyServices-IRCG SAR / Skerries CG SAR / Skerries RNLI SAR / CHC Helicopter SAR

Options
  • 04-11-2011 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all...this is my 1st post, so apologies if I’m repeating any older posts, but after reading the older posts I’m still confused.
    Also, I thought by making one call to the Irish Coast Guard I would of received the information I needed. But according to the Irish Coast Guard the all the emergency units are run separately.

I am currently looking to change career altogether, I work in construction and have absolutely no experience in the fields that I am considering, as per below.
    In saying that I feel with the right training and experience I could eventually apply for these paid jobs, also I am an extremely active individual and I feel that this area of work would really suit me.

I’m looking for some information regarding the above titled jobs?

As far as my research has taken me, I’ve found out that all the SAR units are volunteers...is this true? if so...what jobs are paid jobs?

1 - Is there any paid work within the Irish Coast Guard SAR crews or are they all volunteers.

2 - Is there any paid work within the Skerries Coast Guard SAR crews or are they all volunteers.

3 -Is there any paid work within the Skerries RNLI SAR crews or are they all volunteers.

4 -The CHC Helicopter SAR what requirements are needed to become one of the on board SAR crew?

In essence, I would be willing to do major volunteering with the focus on gaining training and experience to progress onto paid employment.

And finally, is there any other relative information that I have not covered? If so could you please include it in your post.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Lusk wrote: »
    Hi all...this is my 1st post, so apologies if I’m repeating any older posts, but after reading the older posts I’m still confused.
    Also, I thought by making one call to the Irish Coast Guard I would of received the information I needed. But according to the Irish Coast Guard the all the emergency units are run separately.

I am currently looking to change career altogether, I work in construction and have absolutely no experience in the fields that I am considering, as per below.
    In saying that I feel with the right training and experience I could eventually apply for these paid jobs, also I am an extremely active individual and I feel that this area of work would really suit me.

I’m looking for some information regarding the above titled jobs?

As far as my research has taken me, I’ve found out that all the SAR units are volunteers...is this true? if so...what jobs are paid jobs?

1 - Is there any paid work within the Irish Coast Guard SAR crews or are they all volunteers.

2 - Is there any paid work within the Skerries Coast Guard SAR crews or are they all volunteers.

3 -Is there any paid work within the Skerries RNLI SAR crews or are they all volunteers.

4 -The CHC Helicopter SAR what requirements are needed to become one of the on board SAR crew?

In essence, I would be willing to do major volunteering with the focus on gaining training and experience to progress onto paid employment.

And finally, is there any other relative information that I have not covered? If so could you please include it in your post.

Thanks.

Hi Lusk,

Welcome to Boards.ie - the majority of the services are voluntary but I'll go through them for you:

Is there any paid work within the Irish Coast Guard SAR crews or are they all volunteers. - All the rescue crews around the country in the Irish Coast Guard are volunteers. Officers receive a very small remuneration for expenses but that's about it. However, the management and radio officers are paid. The radio officers man the country's MRCC & MRSC's. The MRCC (Marine Rescue Coordination Centre) is located in Dublin city and is the HQ of the RCC's. There is a Sub Centre (MRSC) in Valentia, Co. Kerry that covers Cork to Galway and a Sub Centre in Malin Head, Co. Donegal that covers Galway to Donegal and also works with Belfast MRCC. These radio centres also look after rescue units in inland waterways e.g. Enniskillen RNLI.

There was a recruitment drive for radio officers a few months back but, unless you had 5 years or more in Search and Rescue, you would need a ships radio officer licence.

Is there any paid work within the Skerries Coast Guard SAR crews or are they all volunteers. - Skerries is a Coast Guard unit so, like above, voluntary.

3 -Is there any paid work within the Skerries RNLI SAR crews or are they all volunteers. - Standard crew are voluntary. Full time unit mechanics are paid for by the RNLI as their full time job (not all units have full time mechanics. The other rescue boat units known as CRBI's (Community Rescue Boats of Ireland) like Limerick City and Cahore in Wexford, which are assets of the Irish Coast Guard and on Coast Guard pagers, have voluntary crews.

4 -The CHC Helicopter SAR what requirements are needed to become one of the on board SAR crew? - These crew are well paid, and so they should be. There are two crews on board, flight crew and winch crew. Pilots normally would want at least 1,500+ hours under their belt before being looked at for a SAR helicopter role. Pilot training is also very expensive and helicopter pilot jobs are very scare at the moment.

In order to be a winch crew, you need to be a PHECC registered paramedic. In Ireland, the only way to gain paramedic status is through working with the HSE Ambulance Service - first as an EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) and then moving up the ranks. However, if you watched the programme 'Rescue 115' on RTE you will see a bit of the training that was carried out for the winchman recruitment, it wasn't easy.

To slim it down, very possible options are:
      RNLI Mechanic (Lots of Marine Engine Experience Necessary) Radio Officer (Need Radio Officer Licence or 5 years minimum in Search and Rescue)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lusk

searescue, thanks for the time to reply to the above. After reading what you had to say it looks like I'll have to go down another route for employment.

Advertisement