Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Afghanistan

Options
  • 04-11-2011 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Howdy folks,

My brother in law is a ceramic tiler and has been finding it difficult to get work for the past year and a half. Lately he's heard about a couple of people who've gotten work in gated compounds in Afghanistan :eek: ........it's been so long looking for work that he's giving it serious thought, however the obvious questions are in his mind (safety. leaving his family etc) But the money is good.

Has anyone on here any experience of such jobs or heard anything about them that could help him in his decision??

Cheers:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

i have a friend who is working as a carpenter(not qualified) in camp bastion in afgan with the last 6 months, he said tis grand and as safe as chips as it's a military camp, he is kind of a foreman with a load of afgans doing most of the work, he works for 3 months then gets 3 weeks off to come home, the money is good but i thought it would be better for where he is working but i suppose it's a good way to get money together as you cant spend it,

it was a lifeline for him as he would of lost his house if he didn't get the money for the morgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Even working in a military camp carries risks and life insurance may be voided in these circumstances , in any event its worth bearing in mind that US and British troops will be gone in 2 years time so anyone looking to work there would want to get cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

gustafo wrote: »
    i have a friend who is working as a carpenter(not qualified) in camp bastion in afgan with the last 6 months, he said tis grand and as safe as chips as it's a military camp, he is kind of a foreman with a load of afgans doing most of the work, he works for 3 months then gets 3 weeks off to come home, the money is good but i thought it would be better for where he is working but i suppose it's a good way to get money together as you cant spend it,

it was a lifeline for him as he would of lost his house if he didn't get the money for the morgage.

Cheers for that Gustafo,
    Any chance of you PM'ing me your friend's details....such as the name of the comapny and some way to contact him please.

Thanks again,

Gary

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

I'd be interested in heading over too

Advertisement