Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking about getting a 4x4

Options
  • 04-11-2011 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi folks,

Im thinking of getting a 4x4. Most of what Ive been looking at is in around 2004-2007's based on my price range, only interested in Commercials. Anybody particular like or hate their 4x4?

I have looked at Troopers, Patrols, L200's, Dmax, Pajero Sports and Discoverys.

Thanks for any input you might have!

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it's along the same lines... Can anyone buy a commercial 4x4 and just stick the seats in the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Absolutely loved my Amazon.

There's a 99 commercial on donedeal. Make sure the height control is working on the 100 series.

Better option again would be an 80 series. Great machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but it's along the same lines... Can anyone buy a commercial 4x4 and just stick the seats in the back?

Just dont let your insurance company, motor tax and/or the customs know.

In short, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

jh_bond wrote: »
    Im thinking of getting a 4x4. Most of what Ive been looking at is in around 2004-2007's based on my price range, only interested in Commercials. Anybody particular like or hate their 4x4?

Bought a Shogun (Pajero) just over a year ago - 23k miles later and I consider it one of the better purchases I've made! Comfortable enough, more economical than I was expecting (over the last 3.8k miles anyway), and went the auto route so no DMF to be worrying about. :)

Most others will point you towards a LandCruiser - considered one myself but simply couldn't see the justification for the price premium they carry over the competition.

What sort of use are you intending it for?
    Can anyone buy a commercial 4x4 and just stick the seats in the back?
    In a word - no.

Hi folks,

Thanks for any input you might have!

Joe

What do you plan on using it for Joe? There is a hell of a difference in some of those you mentioned. For example, a LR Disco is far more comfortable than a Trooper, a Trooper is a massive vehicle compared to a Pajero with a fuel consumption to match. Will you be towing much, off road or a school run?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jh_bond

Anyone can buy a commercial and insure it and tax it commercially (€288), but once you put the seats in the back its no longer commercial class and if you dont declare it as a passenger vehicle and tax it as a passenger (tax based on engine size) then it is liabled to be seized off you by either customs or Gardai and in order to get it back you would have to pay back tax as well as probable summons to court...plus insurance wouldnt pay out if you hadnt declared the seats in the case of an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jh_bond

what am I using it for....suppose I should have said!

It wont be used for any heavy duty work so doesnt need to pull massive loads, an occasional trailer maybe.

I want a good off roader for the bad weather (when it comes) and also for my shooting. I know the L200's/Dmax etc have the larger passengercabins and some sort of covered flat bed or canopy and the others are all internal cabin but without seats. Storage isnt really a major concern but think i will go long wheel base over short regardless so that I have the space option.

I guess all terain/off road cabability is my biggest priority...excluding a "which tyre" debate.

what am I using it for....suppose I should have said!

It wont be used for any heavy duty work so doesnt need to pull massive loads, an occasional trailer maybe.

I want a good off roader for the bad weather (when it comes) and also for my shooting.

I guess all terain/off road cabability is my biggest priority...excluding a "which tyre" debate.

Have you considered a LR Defender? Its not comfortable, pretty or economical but it will go anywhere and put up with a good bit of abuse. Also, while you are shooting, just get yourself a tweed jacket, flat hat and a Springer, then you will look the part at least :D

Advertisement