Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dick Cheney and Persian Gulf

Options
  • 04-11-2011 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

I found an interesting transcript of speech Dick Cheney gave to the Institute of Petroleum in 1999.

"By 2010 we will need on the order of an additional fifty million barrels a day. So where is the oil going to come from?... Oil is unique in that it is so strategic in nature. We are not talking about soapflakes or leisurewear here. Energy is truly fundamental to the world’s economy."

Cheney was made chairman of Energy Task Force setup by George Bush Jnr during his 2nd week in office.

"America faces a major energy supply crisis over the next two decades,” Secretary of Energy Spencer Abraham told a National Energy Summit on March 19, 2001.

"The failure to meet this challenge will threaten our nation’s economic prosperity, compromise our national security, and literally alter the way we lead our lives."

Was the invasion of Iraq motivated by the need for oil? ;)

Full transcript of speech

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

nivekd wrote: »
    I found an interesting transcript of speech Dick Cheney gave to the Institute of Petroleum in 1999.

"By 2010 we will need on the order of an additional fifty million barrels a day. So where is the oil going to come from?... Oil is unique in that it is so strategic in nature. We are not talking about soapflakes or leisurewear here. Energy is truly fundamental to the world’s economy."

Cheney was made chairman of Energy Task Force setup by George Bush Jnr during his 2nd week in office.

"America faces a major energy supply crisis over the next two decades,” Secretary of Energy Spencer Abraham told a National Energy Summit on March 19, 2001.

"The failure to meet this challenge will threaten our nation’s economic prosperity, compromise our national security, and literally alter the way we lead our lives."

Full transcript of speech

If it was, then they made a fucking balls of it, seeing as most of the oil contracts went to china

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

No, they invaded Iraq to make the world a safer place. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭The Outside Agency

If it was, then they made a fucking balls of it, seeing as most of the oil contracts went to china

Good point ...and it's something I plan on investigating a little deeper.

Although we should consider that even though Chinese companies were awarded more contracts, those do not last forever.
    Additionally, the economy of China is projected to tank in 2013/2014 because it depends too much on the construction industry.

Initially it appeared US companies would receive all the contracts but that's not how it turned out according to media reports such as the one you reference.

I'm obviously a little sceptical...I can't believe there would be no reward from all the money invested in taking control of Iraq.

There had to be some benefit from the invasion otherwise they wouldn't have lied about a non-existent WMD programme.

Can only speculate at the moment.
    Daithi 1 wrote:
    No, they invaded Iraq to make the world a safer place

People still believe that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

wrong forum --> Move to US Politics

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭The Outside Agency

Spacedog wrote: »
    wrong forum --> Move to US Politics

:D

I have a feeling the mods would see the CT forum as the best place for this thread. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Yeah its pretty clear it was definitely one of the reasons. I mean the oil ministry was one of the first buildings to be secured after the "liberation".

Advertisement