Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Fire?

Options
  • 04-11-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Dear all,

I'm new to the Forum and not very technically minded so I would be very grateful for some advice regarding the new Kindle Fire.
    I have followed previous threads on this subject and while they are extremely useful, I must admit that I'm getting somewhat lost on the technical spec discussions that follow.

Essentially what I'm looking for is a type of e-reader which crosses with the basics of a tablet for web surfing, email, FB, music etc. I do understand that the Fire is not supposed to be as good as the reader-only Kindles available, however I am interested in the extras that it seems to offer at a relatively low price. I dont need a full blown tablet as I have a HTC Desire HD phone, and also a laptop, but like the portability of the Fire.

I have an uncle living in the US who will purchase it for me but my hesitation is around the following:
    • Withoud Cloud technology will it function at all? I'm hoping that I can still use it in WiFi, or use my HTC to data tether?
    • Is it likely that Cloud technology will take off here in a more accessible way in the near future?
    • Am I correct in assuming that the TV shows, movie rentals etc will not function as not available outside US as yet?
    • If I cant access the cloud, is there any way of putting movies onto it i.e. via USB from my laptop, for long journeys, although I appreciate the capacity is limited due to 8GB non SD make up.
    • Will the US version work here?-power/charging etc?
    • the demo says that it is automatically linked to your Amazon account and set up from the moment you press "on", however if my uncle purchases it for me using his Amazon US account, does that mean difficulty for me to reset it to my account?
    • Finally, linked to above, is it possible to buy it using my own amazon account with irish credit card, but have it delivered to a US address?
    Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and I really appreciate any advice.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

From what i've read:

Withoud Cloud technology will it function at all? No, the silk browser will not work outside the US. It's unknown if there will be a non cloud browser option on it.
    I'm hoping that I can still use it in WiFi, or use my HTC to data tether? On the Wifi, hopefully but there are rumours that it will only work with US IP addresses

Is it likely that Cloud technology will take off here in a more accessible way in the near future? Who knows, supposedly a lot of legal/copyright work to be done first

Am I correct in assuming that the TV shows, movie rentals etc will not function as not available outside US as yet? Yes you can't use the Amazon store outside the US for Movie/TV rentals for legal/copyright reasons

If I cant access the cloud, is there any way of putting movies onto it i.e. via USB from my laptop, for long journeys, although I appreciate the capacity is limited due to 8GB non SD make up. You should be able to do this

Will the US version work here?-power/charging etc? Should do with an adaptor

the demo says that it is automatically linked to your Amazon account and set up from the moment you press "on", however if my uncle purchases it for me using his Amazon US account, does that mean difficulty for me to reset it to my account? Don't know for sure but you would need a US account to access most of the services so it may not be switchable to a non US account similar to ordering goods from US on Amazon.

Finally, linked to above, is it possible to buy it using my own amazon account with irish credit card, but have it delivered to a US address? Yes, just set up a new delivery address in the US

All this said, we won't know for sure until it's released and it will possibly be jailbroken within a day or two after release so you'll know then if it's worth importing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 maggi82

Thud,

Thanks so much for a very rapid and very clear response.

I suppose I got caught up in the whole "waiting list" nonsense, so was eager to get it asap, but it makes so much more sense to wait and see what happens after the release date. Your response has really made me question the usefulness of the device at all, and until release date, a lot of these questions will remain unanswered.

Thanks again,

M

Advertisement