Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a stand?

Options
  • 04-11-2011 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Currently on my first bike, a Ninja 250R 2010. Looking for a back and maybe a front stand so I can work on the bike...ideally something that'll fit my next bike too...

What about this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scorpion-Complete-Universal-Motorcycle-Paddock/dp/B0055CNEII/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1320410267&sr=8-9 ...? Seems close to fitting the bill.

Are there anyone well known killer stands out there?

On a side note, are there any "must have" tools you suggest for general service/maintenance? I have lots of various tools from general DIY and for my bicycles...wondering if that'll be enough for the basics...

Greatly appreciating all your advice so far!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread, but i just bought my first bike, also a Ninja 250R (2009) a couple of weeks ago and any advice wouldn't go astray.

Stands OP linked look pretty cool. Presumably they'd fit a bigger bike, for when the restriction is up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Re: paddock stands, you can get a pair cheap enough from Horsepower (for example) and they'd be €40 for the front and €35 for the rear. They're as basic as you can get but they'll do you starting off. A good proper set (Harris) will cost you a lot more, but they'll last ya.

As for tools, once you have a decent socket set, and a set of allen keys (or T-bar allens) they'll do you starting off too.

Re: paddock stands, you can get a pair cheap enough...They're as basic as you can get but they'll do you starting off. A good proper set will cost you a lot more, but they'll last ya.

So essentially you get what you pay for?

Kev.OC wrote: »
    So essentially you get what you pay for?

Like anything, yeah. BUT, like I said, they'll still do the job. I have three rears, two front and a headstock stand, all the "cheap" Bike-It stands (as mentioned in my previous post) and none of them have let me down yet! :D

Like anything, yeah. BUT, like I said, they'll still do the job. I have three rears, two front and a headstock stand, all the "cheap" Bike-It stands (as mentioned in my previous post) and none of them have let me down yet! :D

Music to my ears! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

www.adverts.ie/1087844

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'd go for a rearstand that lifts via bobbins (hooks), as opposed to one that lifts with cups

the cups are grand for bikes with square section swingarms, but no good for ones with rounded/moulded fancy ones

can usually fit paddock bobbins to most all bikes, so a bit more universal (bar the obvious single-sided swingarms). Good paddock bobbins give a bit of crash protection also :)

I'd be tempted by one of those fancy Abba stands, lifts via the swingarm pivot point. Few vids on youtube - theyre dear, and need adaptors on a bike by bike basis, but look the biz

Wossack wrote: »
    I'd go for a rearstand that lifts via bobbins (hooks), as opposed to one that lifts with cups

the cups are grand for bikes with square section swingarms, but no good for ones with rounded/moulded fancy ones

can usually fit paddock bobbins to most all bikes, so a bit more universal (bar the obvious single-sided swingarms). Good paddock bobbins give a bit of crash protection also :)

I'd be tempted by one of those fancy Abba stands, lifts via the swingarm pivot point. Few vids on youtube - theyre dear, and need adaptors on a bike by bike basis, but look the biz

Agreed, and the bobbins only cost about €15 for the set.

The abba stands rock too!! Good call. :D

Advertisement