Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Government Stamp Duty

Options
  • 04-11-2011 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Quick question for people who may know...

I recently switched my credit card from Bank A to Bank B & transferred the balance. I now want to cancel my original credit card with Bank A. Am I liable to pay the €30 Government Stamp duty on the card that I'm cancelling?

I know it's an annual charge and that you have to pay it when closing your credit card account - but surely as I'm still using a credit card (albeit from a different provider) I shouldn't have to pay the Stamp Duty on closing of my old CC account?

Thanks...

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You'll pay it on the old account, but will get a letter from them to give to your new provider so you don't pay it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Quick question for people who may know...

I recently switched my credit card from Bank A to Bank B & transferred the balance. I now want to cancel my original credit card with Bank A. Am I liable to pay the €30 Government Stamp duty on the card that I'm cancelling?

I know it's an annual charge and that you have to pay it when closing your credit card account - but surely as I'm still using a credit card (albeit from a different provider) I shouldn't have to pay the Stamp Duty on closing of my old CC account?

Thanks...

Has to be done. Also loads of threads on this in the forum so the search function would get you the answer also.

Advertisement