Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

btea and partner on jsb?

Options
  • 04-11-2011 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

hi does anyone have any idea what rate my partner would get if i am getting btea?

we have 3 children my partner is about to apply for jsb and i am about to start a full time coarse

will his jsb be means tested on my btea and vise virse?

tryed ringing the office but no look!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I can only answer is your partner was to claim as a dependent of you.

He would get €188 + €124.80 for dependent partner + €29.80 for each child. It may be more if he applys for JSB in his own right, if so you will get the €188 and the money for the kids.

Sorry can't fine a BTEA link but rates are same as full JSA rate:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html#l62fd2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

lisar816 wrote: »
    hi does anyone have any idea what rate my partner would get if i am getting btea?

we have 3 children my partner is about to apply for jsb and i am about to start a full time coarse

will his jsb be means tested on my btea and vise virse?

tryed ringing the office but no look!

BTEA is not means tested. Jobseekers Benefit is not means tested either so both of you would be on the full Euro 188 (plus the amount for the children). Would recommend keeping your claims separate. In the summer between academic years, if you don't get work, you will be on JSA which is means tested and if your partner is on JSB your payment will go down to Euro 124. If your partner hasn't found work before his JSB runs out he will be on means tested JSA but they won't means test him against your BTEA payment during the academic year. This is as it stands at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

thats a great help thank you

regards to the childrens payment would it be half raste each or full rate

my partner will have a job in febuary so all is looking good again just have to get by christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If both parents are receiving a SW payment, one of them will get the full rate, if they start working the claiming person will receive half rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭magztar

For co-habitating couples BTEA is means tested..Im getting means tested with my partner but on the website it does say at the bottom that if you are worse off after the means test you will get max amount..A bit arse about tit way to be honest :(

• Advertisement

magztar wrote: »
    For co-habitating couples BTEA is means tested..Im getting means tested with my partner but on the website it does say at the bottom that if you are worse off after the means test you will get max amount..A bit arse about tit way to be honest :(

Can you post a link to the document you are referring to? Thanks. And, may I ask if you have separate claims in or have one claim with one of you as dependant?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭magztar

Balagan wrote: »
    Can you post a link to the document you are referring to? Thanks. And, may I ask if you have separate claims in or have one claim with one of you as dependant?

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BackToEducation/Pages/btea.aspx

Just scroll down to qualified adult,Its called a a saver clause..My partner is only working 22 hours and theyre means testing us,he doesnt qualify for social so I think he dependent on me or something like that,I know I get a dependent child for our baby.
    It seems to be al over the place to be honest coz wer not on much at d minute after we got means tested in august and nothing has changed so I cant see why they have to means test us again ..Ya know what I mean if that makes any sense..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

When on JSA, and your partner is working, you are means tested. Your weekly payment =
    Personal Rate + Adult Dependent Rate + Child Dependent Rate - Means.

When on BTEA however, and your partner is working, they pay you the JSB tapered rate associated with their weekly pay (as BTEA is not means tested). So on BTEA the weekly payment =
    Personal Rate + Tapered Rate + Child Dependent Rate per earnings.

Tapered rates for Adult Dependent can be seen here:
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/sw19/Pages/sw19_app.aspx under Appendix Increase for a Qualified Adult (IQA).

So as an example, if your spouse is earning €220 per week, your weekly payment on BTEA would be 188 + 56.90 + 29.80 (if you had one child).

However, if your spouse is earning €370 per week, the weekly payment would be 188 + 14.90 as you only get half rate per child dependent once your partner earns between 310 and 400 per week.

If your partner earns over 400 you don't receive any payment for the child.

However, if this arrangement would bring you below your current JSA rate, the saver clause means you will stay on your current JSA rate while in receipt of BTEA as you should not be penalised for going back to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Media999

Balagan wrote: »
    Would recommend keeping your claims separate.

What is meant by this? I know its an old post but someone might have an answer.

Do you mean say your not a couple or what?

Media999 wrote: »
    What is meant by this? I know its an old post but someone might have an answer.

Do you mean say your not a couple or what?

No, of course you have to disclose you are cohabiting if you are. But if both of you are available for and looking for work, you can have two separate claims rather than claiming as one claimant and dependant. Would recommend separate claims to any couple who have been claiming as claimant and dependant and the claimant is going on BTEA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Media999

What if the dependant is on BTEA?

Advertisement