Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

yaris DIY

Options
  • 03-11-2011 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

hi all im wondering what shop can you buy paint for repairing scraches on a car , (i have to fix it for punishment :() and what paint do ye recommend? spary can or paint that you can use a paint bruch on?

its black so it shouldent be to hard to get it
    any help is appreciated

pics are below
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Go to main dealer for touch up paint

209 is metallic black, 202 non metallic

• Registered Users Posts: 81,534 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it's a fairly new one I'd advise not spraying it yourself unless you have previous experience in doing it as it's real easy to make an absolute balls of it and ruin the car. If your determined to do it you should checkout some videos with guides on youtube before you go near it for tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

If it's a fairly new one I'd advise not spraying it yourself unless you have previous experience in doing it as it's real easy to make an absolute balls of it and ruin the car. If your determined to do it you should checkout some videos with guides on youtube before you go near it for tips.

so agree... so easy to make a dogs dinner of it and make it worse than the scratch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Go to main dealer for touch up paint

209 is metallic black, 202 non metallic

main dealer we got it in a garage in sligo

its 2001 il have pic up of the damage tomorrow , i never sprayed a car , id say it would be a good few hundred to get it fixed

• Advertisement

Photo0029.jpg

here is what i have to repair

Photo0028.jpg

and this is the other damage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Photo0029.jpg

here is what i have to repair

I'm no expert but I'd imagine that panel will have to be replaced...

oh sh1t , would i get away with just giving it a sandy rub and a spray

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Those repairs need professional attention, not a diy repair op

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Those repairs need professional attention, not a diy repair op

ok thanks , but i have not a penny to my name , it dosent have to be excilent or anything , i was going to try to fix it myself before the snow comes. snow+salt=rusty car :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's already rusty!

Owen wrote: »
    It's already rusty!

A BIT OF SAND PAPER AND THAT WILL SOLVE THAT:D

Right ...

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭choo choo man

It already looks like those wheel arches have been repaired before, i can see lots of filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Plenty of lads will repair that damage and worse no bother. The OP could tackle it but as a novice is likely to make a mess of it. Best to let a pro fix it, and it doesn't need a fancy high-end body shop either.

It already looks like those wheel arches have been repaired before, i can see lots of filler.

i thought that was just paint :eek:

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Plenty of lads will repair that damage and worse no bother. The OP could tackle it but as a novice is likely to make a mess of it. Best to let a pro fix it, and it doesn't need a fancy high-end body shop either.

well for the two spots of damage how much do you think it will cost to repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Sorry, I've no idea. Best thing to do is bring it around to a few places and get estimates. A friendly chat with a few side street garages could get some recommendations.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Sorry, I've no idea. Best thing to do is bring it around to a few places and get estimates. A friendly chat with a few side street garages could get some recommendations.

ok cheers for all the help anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I would say that you could tackle the job yourself with some paint, primer, sandpaper and filler. My advice would be to watch Wheeler Dealers (toyota MR2 episode), Edd the Mechanic is fairly handy at the repairs and explains how to do them well. From my fairly limited experience of filling rust holes, the key is to take your time with it.
    Don't expect to get it perfect but you should be able to improve it no end.
    (assuming that you are brave and quite handy) Also as the car isn't worth that much its not worth paying a pro.

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I would say that you could tackle the job yourself with some paint, primer, sandpaper and filler. My advice would be to watch Wheeler Dealers (toyota MR2 episode), Edd the Mechanic is fairly handy at the repairs and explains how to do them well. From my fairly limited experience of filling rust holes, the key is to take your time with it.
    Don't expect to get it perfect but you should be able to improve it no end.
    (assuming that you are brave and quite handy) Also as the car isn't worth that much its not worth paying a pro.

ya i am quit handy id could all ways get my friend to help. his dad repairs cars from engines to filling hole and such...where could i buy flller , paint ,primer? . i was going to fix it in the end like its really not worth paying a pro like you said , its o1 and its not a great car either
    so thanks very much :)

You can get the supplies you need from any motor factors. I would go to Halfords if there is one close to you as they can mix the exact colour for you then and there. (your local motor factors might be able to but Halfords defiantly can).

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    You can get the supplies you need from any motor factors. I would go to Halfords if there is one close to you as they can mix the exact colour for you then and there. (your local motor factors might be able to but Halfords defiantly can).

oh so halfords do the filler , paint , and primer . but if i get a normal gloss black color in a can it should do the job.

any old black paint will be OK but it won't be much more to get the real colour (maybe €2 more for a can).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,534 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do not use any old black paint, there's possibly 10 different shades that could be called black, then you have metalic paint, go to the main dealer and get paint or have it mixed at Halfords if you want the job to look any way half decent. If you want to do a butcher job and save a total of probably €20 get any old black paint.

There's a lot more than 10, and even using the colour code to mix the paint, there can be several shades all with the same colour code. Can't really see it being an issue though, the gung-ho repair that's going to happen before it will look worse than any paint IMHO - and I'm trying not to be an asshole about it, but you can see repairs people do themselves a mile away, and they always look worse than any damage.

Advertisement