Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freeview through UPC Cable

Options
  • 03-11-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello,

I have been using a freeview box in my apartment for over a year now and it's fantastic. I get most of the UK tv channels and it suits me down to the ground.

The box I have only works on a satalite. The apartment I live in at the moment has a shared sky dish so it's connected to that

I'm moving house in 2 weeks and it doesn't have a dish nor am I allowed to put one up. The new apartment has a UPC point on the wall and that's the only television source in the complex.

Are there any freeview boxes out there that work on the UPC cable lines?
    I don't understand it all myself i thought it was all the same and the one I already have would work but it doesn't!

I saw some freeview cable boxes on ebay. Will they work does anybody know?!
    Thanks for the help! Allan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭noelo

Allan84mv wrote: »
    Hello,

I have been using a freeview box in my apartment for over a year now and it's fantastic. I get most of the UK tv channels and it suits me down to the ground.

The box I have only works on a satalite. The apartment I live in at the moment has a shared sky dish so it's connected to that

I'm moving house in 2 weeks and it doesn't have a dish nor am I allowed to put one up. The new apartment has a UPC point on the wall and that's the only television source in the complex.

Are there any freeview boxes out there that work on the UPC cable lines?
    I don't understand it all myself i thought it was all the same and the one I already have would work but it doesn't!

I saw some freeview cable boxes on ebay. Will they work does anybody know?!
    Thanks for the help! Allan
    The short answer is no, the reason you got a signal in your old apartment was because you were connected to the satalite, UPC dont use satalite to distribute their signal. They use fibre optic and regular coaxial cables. You need to get and indoor ariel from power city and a dish, you could also use a combi box/soarview box. just stash the dish on the balcony pointing it the same direction as the rest in the neigborhood. the signal has traveled a great distance to get to you so an aul sheet wont effect it, hope that helps.

Advertisement