Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraudulent Laser card transaction - query about CVV code

Options
  • 03-11-2011 8:31pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I discovered a fraudulent Laser card transaction on my online statement today. Somebody used my Laser card details to purchase 80 euro worth of pizza over the weekend. I contacted my bank and they told me I'll have to fill out a form in-branch so they can investigate it. But they also encouraged me to contact the pizza shop to see if they could shed any light on the transaction. What's curious is that the transaction was made at my local branch using the website. The person provided a genuine address that is within 20 minutes walk from where I actually live.

I'm trying to figure how they got my details as I'm very careful with my Laser. The Domino's website requires that you enter your card's CVV code. This would suggest that the thief either had physical access to my card or got my details from some online transaction I did. However, it was always my understanding that online Laser transactions didn't need a CVV code. At one point I recall that Lasers didn't even have them and you had to actually enter a fake number (000, etc) to get websites to accept it. Does anyone know if this is still the case? In other words, would an online Laser transaction with an incorrect CVV be declined?

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I tried to order a music gig tickets there on Ticketmaster and it didn't ask for a CCV code...

Best of luck sorting it out. Why not ask the pizza company where they live and report them to the guards?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I already got all details from the pizza shop. Name, address and mobile number (no answer) used. I plan to give it all to my bank and the guards tomorrow. But that doesn't mean the person living there actually made the order. Someone could have just used that address and waited outside for the delivery guy. The name could be fake for all I know. I'm currently trying to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Our local domino's is really strict, you have to show the card you used and sign a docket before they will give you the food.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well, from what I can gather, the CVV number isn't required for a transaction to be approved. It's only for subsequently finding out whether the transaction may have been fraudulent or not. So I guess that answers my question. I just don't know what actually happens to the CVV number you enter. The retailer isn't supposed to keep it, so I assume the bank must get a record of it, but their staff don't have access to it. I guess I'll just have to fill out a fraud form and let the bank/guards deal with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Our local domino's is really strict, you have to show the card you used and sign a docket before they will give you the food.

Yes ours too :confused:

Op - do dominos still have the laser docket by any chance?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure. I assume so as they said they checked it. I didn't think to ask about the CVV number at the time. They kinda tried to fob me off by saying they did everything right. But that obviously isn't true seeing as how they delivered it to a person with a different name than me. The driver obviously didn't ask to see the card.

I haven't ordered from Dominos recently (and never from the branch in question), but the last several times I did, the driver never asked to see the card. So it wouldn't surprise me in the least that the same thing happened here. But to be fair to them, I found Dominos very helpful.

I'm thinking that my card was probably skimmed at a local ATM, which I've been informed has been quite dodgy in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Laser transactions don't require CVV codes to be entered, only if it's a credit/debit card will it actually ask for one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Laser transactions don't require CVV codes to be entered, only if it's a credit/debit card will it actually ask for one

Laser is a debit card no?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

amdublin wrote: »
    Laser is a debit card no?

Woops... I meant like mastercard debit, and the likes.

That's been my experience as well. But some websites do insist that you enter a CVV for Lasers. The Dominos site is one of them. In the past this was usually due to the website not being familiar with Laser cards (as most of them didn't have a CVV code). But now that Lasers do have CVVs, I'm not sure. While googling last night I came across an Irish website that specifically states that they require a CVV code for Lasers.

What I've read online suggests that the CVV code (even on credit cards) doesn't have to be correct for a transaction to go through. It's merely for checking whether it might have been fraudulent after the fact. I'm not sure about this though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement