Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Root Canal or extraction

Options
  • 03-11-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hey all,

After the worst pain ever!! I found out I had an abcsess in a back molar. The dentist said I needed to get a root canal or extraction. I'm thinking extraction because it's quicker, cheaper and it's a back tooth but am I making the right decison?

Any advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

If a root canal is possible and the tooth is restorable predictably (with a filling or ultimetly crown) and you have the funds for the root canal and crown- then yes- keeping the tooth is best...

If the root canal is very tricky looking with lower predicted success and there is little or no tooth to work with for the filingor crown- then you are probably wasting your money on a tooth that will later need removal. Then remove it and spend the cash on an implant.

Good luck,
    OS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Had the same problem myself but ultimately decided to go with the root canal. It's definitely the better option and if you are able to go to somewhere like UCC dental clinic in CUH (it's not just for students) then you can get a root canal and filing done for €160. It's €50 per canal and then €10 for the filling. My tooth had 3 canals so cost €160! Pretty reasonable money to save your tooth!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

dorgasm wrote: »
    Had the same problem myself but ultimately decided to go with the root canal. It's definitely the better option and if you are able to go to somewhere like UCC dental clinic in CUH (it's not just for students) then you can get a root canal and filing done for €160. It's €50 per canal and then €10 for the filling. My tooth had 3 canals so cost €160! Pretty reasonable money to save your tooth!

did you go back for the crown afterwards?!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mushaboom

My dentist did think the root canal was best but she said it would take about 2 hours and they don't sedate you :eek:

I don't know how I'd cope with someone working in the back of my mouth for that long!!

dorgasm, that price is a lot cheaper than what I was quoted!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Mushaboom wrote: »
    My dentist did think the root canal was best but she said it would take about 2 hours and they don't sedate you :eek:

I don't know how I'd cope with someone working in the back of my mouth for that long!!

you won't need sedation, the feeling is no worse than a filling. an EXTREMELY LONG one!
    bring an mp3 player and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement

I didn't need a crown, just a filling. And they use a local anaesthetic so you really don't feel anything. The whole side of your face will be numb even hours afterwards. It's just time consuming and unpleasant, won't be painful.

Mushaboom wrote: »

Yeah the price is very cheap because it's a student doing the work. They're supervised though so it's all the one. I had a 5th year dental student do mine and there were no problems at all. I went to my usual dentist first and I was told it would be over €600. Needless to say, I couldn't afford that and I found out about the UCC dental clinic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

dorgasm wrote: »
    I didn't need a crown, just a filling. And they use a local anaesthetic so you really don't feel anything. The whole side of your face will be numb even hours afterwards. It's just time consuming and unpleasant, won't be painful.

Just be careful. Because the tooth is now effectively dead, it will be a lot weaker than your other teeth and more succeptable to breaking. That's usually why teeth that have been root canal treated are crowned afterwards.
    Generally speaking, it's advised to have a tooth crowned following a root canal. My own dentist waits about 3 to 4 months to make sure the root canal was effective and in the meantime warns me about eating anything hard for fear of cracking/shattering the tooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭John G

Was in the UCC hospital this morning myself for Root Canal. Was told it could be €600, won't be seen for about 6 weeks and could need 4 visits. P.S. tooth still sore not sure I can wait that long!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

John G wrote: »
    Was in the UCC hospital this morning myself for Root Canal. Was told it could be €600, won't be seen for about 6 weeks and could need 4 visits. P.S. tooth still sore not sure I can wait that long!!

e600 in the dental school????

• Advertisement
Advertisement