Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The train to Cork.

Options
  • 03-11-2011 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭

It's probably madness, but has anyone journeyed to Cork from Galway, and back, by train?.

I have to go to Cork for a couple of days next month, and I was thinking it would be a nice trip to take by train.
    OK it will most certainly be more expensive than the ~€20 return bus fare, and I reckon I'll have to change trains 2 or 3 times, however the road less traveled and all....

Iarnrod Eireann are getting back to me with a price.

Anyone made it?.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

train to dublin then train to cork, easiest and probably quickest way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

says it all really,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Seaneh wrote: »
    train to dublin then train to cork, easiest and probably quickest way.

Yeah true, I was wondering about the Galway-Limerick-Cork route though.

As I said not the handiest way to get there, just for the novelty of it!.

Shakti wrote: »
    says it all really,

Yeah.

AFAIK unless your going to, or coming, from the big shmoke you have to request the fare price via email.

Some pricing information for InterCity services from Dublin and DART/Suburban fares are available click here. We are currently working on an improved fares database as part of our e-commerce system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

maybe they will get back to you with an estimate if they do you should try and haggle for the craic.

but Galway Limerick Cork sounds fun probably cost the same as a new kitchen though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

It might be worth looking at buying seperate tickets for each leg of the journey - it could be cheaper than the price they quote you.

i.e. - look at Galway to Limerick and then Limerick to Cork (or maybe Limerick-Limerick Junction and then Limerick Junction-Cork)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

you will have to change at limerick and limerick junction. The price comes up online its 54.50 and the shortest journey is 4 and a half hours. Madness to do it. Scenery will be the same as the bus anyway seeing as they are pretty much next to each other the whole way

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

will you have 2 way doing this
    Galway Cork via Portarlington , Portlaoise 05:05 get there at 09:50 ( five hours on 3 trains think it about 65 euros one way

Galway Cork via Limerick , Limerick Junction 06:20 get there at 10:45 ( five hours on again 3 trains

why not try City link 3 hours 30 mins and free wifi on the but

Irish rail only has wifi on dublin cork train

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

It's probably madness, but has anyone journeyed to Cork from Galway, and back, by train?.

I have to go to Cork for a couple of days next month, and I was thinking it would be a nice trip to take by train.
    OK it will most certainly be more expensive than the ~€20 return bus fare, and I reckon I'll have to change trains 2 or 3 times, however the road less traveled and all....

Anyone made it?.
    I used to get the train from Galway to Castlebar as a student, it involved a change in Athlone and took around 3.5 hours. Used to meet the buddies on the way and have a chat and we used to get discounted price, think it was around 7 quid. If you have the time and the money go for it. The train is a relaxing way to travel.

You could buy seperate tickets for Galway - Dublin and Dublin - cork, there can often be deals on these routes depending on the day and time you travel, midweek it looks like it would cost you 26 for both and you could just get off in portarlington and wait for the cork train there

P.S I'm moving to London in 3 weeks and will be taking the ferry and train, total cost is E40 for both, bargain or what? I can bring two large suitcases and not have to worry about weight (just dragging them behind me) and like yourself I am looking forward to seeing the countryside and I have a few hours to spare

I used to get the train from Galway to Castlebar as a student, it involved a change in Athlone and took around 3.5 hours. Used to meet the buddies on the way and have a chat and we used to get discounted price, think it was around 7 quid. If you have the time and the money go for it. The train is a relaxing way to travel.

You could buy seperate tickets for Galway - Dublin and Dublin - cork, there can often be deals on these routes depending on the day and time you travel, midweek it looks like it would cost you 26 for both and you could just get off in portarlington and wait for the cork train there

P.S I'm moving to London in 3 weeks and will be taking the ferry and train, total cost is E40 for both, bargain or what? I can bring two large suitcases and not have to worry about weight (just dragging them behind me) and like yourself I am looking forward to seeing the countryside and I have a few hours to spare

Ferry eh, old skool, I like it!.
    The only bit of air travel I enjoy is takeoff and landing.

As a comparison to your itinerary above, I went over to London last weekend.
    • Drive to/from Shannon €20
    • Airport parking for 3 days €30
    • Flights €65 return to Stansted(Ryanair, decent price)
    • Terravison bus return Stansted to Liverpool St. €16

I will probably end up busing it. City link return is less than €20.

It's a pity though that travel by rail between Galway and Cork is so prohibitive expensive and involves at least 2 changes. I suppose the population is not there to justify it economically.
    I wonder if the Galway-Limerick route is turning a profit, anyone use it?.

Anyway my fare request will keep the office boy busy for a half hour tomorrow morning!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Wanted to use the Galway-Limerick train to go to a match and despite not minding an early start and waiting around etc was not able to find a combination that would work without spending the night in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Ferry eh, old skool, I like it!.
    The only bit of air travel I enjoy is takeoff and landing.

As a comparison to your itinerary above, I went over to London last weekend.
    • Drive to/from Shannon €20
    • Airport parking for 3 days €30
    • Flights €65 return to Stansted(Ryanair, decent price)
    • Terravison bus return Stansted to Liverpool St. €16

I will probably end up busing it. City link return is less than €20.

It's a pity though that travel by rail between Galway and Cork is so prohibitive expensive and involves at least 2 changes. I suppose the population is not there to justify it economically.
    I wonder if the Galway-Limerick route is turning a profit, anyone use it?.

Anyway my fare request will keep the office boy busy for a half hour tomorrow morning!.
    Missus went over two weeks ago, I had to take the day off work to drive her, flight cost 15 but the two bags cost 50 and then it cost her 70 quid for a taxi. I'll man up and horse my suitcases on to the tube, hope I'm up to the job.

Limerick Galway line is a joke and is not turning a profit, you would cycle down quicker, obviously without a suitcase.

I used to cycle to Castlebar for college years ago as well with my bag for the week on my back, the things we used to do to save 7 quid. It would go a long way back then

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Galway Cork via Limerick , Limerick Junction 06:20 get there at 10:45 ( five hours on again 3 trains)

I call it the west express ...

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I did it once.Had to get to Cork during the cold weather and didnt trust buses on the icy roads.So got very early train to Portarlington then sprinted over the bridge to the other side of the track to get the train for Portlaoise whch i only had 5 mins wait.Then off that train and wait for the Dublin-Cork train,elaborate but got the job done:),cant remember the cost though.

So Irish Rail got back to me today with a price for the return journey Ardrahan to Cork, it took them four days!.

Anyway €35 with a valid student travel card, the card cost about €12.

The price isn't that expensive really, however I wouldn't be able to leave Cork till 6ish in the evening, so that may be a problem.

If I make the journey I shall report back!.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Citylink have a deal going offering return to Cork for €13.50. Travel Mon-Thurs.
    http://www.smartsearch.ie/deals/browse?id=234

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

KevR wrote: »
    It might be worth looking at buying seperate tickets for each leg of the journey - it could be cheaper than the price they quote you.

i.e. - look at Galway to Limerick and then Limerick to Cork (or maybe Limerick-Limerick Junction and then Limerick Junction-Cork)

Yeah this is very good advice with Irish Rail.

The last time I had to go to Belfast the price from Galway to Belfast was 100 euro return on their site. But when booked as separate tickets (Gal<->Dub, Dub<->Bel) it was only 50 euro for everything altogether! For the same trains, same times.

That's a lot of money to pay for the convenience of having everything in a single booking :)

Advertisement