Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Ring meetings

Options
  • 03-11-2011 7:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭

Has anyone ever gone to one of these? I'm interested, I want to give up alcohol and I really could use a support group but I don't fancy AA and their higher power stuff so Life Ring seems like the only other option.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

Not exactly answering your question but AA meetings differ greatly in different places. Some locations (what seems to be down the country) are more religious/higher power based - basically down to the fact that their attendants are older more religious people......whereas meetings in larger cities - Dublin for example are not like this at all.

The structure and content of an AA meeting will be solely dependent on the people who attend.

All I can say is I've tried to give up alcohol a number of ways

a) Self help books
    b) Antabuse
    c) White knuckling it
    d) AA meetings

By far the easiest way (for me) was AA - in fact it is the only thing that has worked to date.

Now don't get me wrong - i don't go to AA meetings anymore myself - purely because the local one is as you describe but luckily for me the meetings in the location I was resident at when I gave up alcohol had a a really good AA meeting.

So................maybe try before you write it off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

rambutman wrote: »
    Not exactly answering your question but AA meetings differ greatly in different places. Some locations (what seems to be down the country) are more religious/higher power based - basically down to the fact that their attendants are older more religious people......whereas meetings in larger cities - Dublin for example are not like this at all.

The structure and content of an AA meeting will be solely dependent on the people who attend.

All I can say is I've tried to give up alcohol a number of ways

a) Self help books
    b) Antabuse
    c) White knuckling it
    d) AA meetings

By far the easiest way (for me) was AA - in fact it is the only thing that has worked to date.

Now don't get me wrong - i don't go to AA meetings anymore myself - purely because the local one is as you describe but luckily for me the meetings in the location I was resident at when I gave up alcohol had a a really good AA meeting.

So................maybe try before you write it off.

Ok rambutman, thanks for the input. I might give one a whirl sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Locked as per forum rules.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement