Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help!! My dog wont eat

Options
  • 03-11-2011 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

hi... have a dog 8 months old... a week and a half ago she started to go off food and getting sick....she kept bringing up bile. she has been to vet few times and been on antibiotics in case of stomach infection... gavascon in case of too much bile...x-xrays and bloods and vet operated on her today to check her out and stomach, intestines etc all fine... does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with her beacuse we running out of options... she hasnt eaten since saturdayas she brings everything back up again and was drinking a lot of water but stopped yesterday so she on a drip now... any help greatly appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

you could try some Manuka honey on the end of your finger to get her started and if this goes ok then try some more. At first my dog wouldn;t eat it as she was so ill but when I put it more or less in her mouth she licked it and then kept going. I really hope it works for the little one but I know how upsetting it is to see them like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shelly86

thanks much... will suggest that... it is horrible... brought her into vet last night to stay because she was weak and was time for a drip... he warmed up some high energy dog food for her and she had no interest so i put some on a spoon and put it in her mouth thinking its better her getting something than nothing. she ate once in mouth and even licked a bit off the spoon which we were delighted with but vet says she brought it all back up again during the night...was just wondering has anyone ever had an animal like this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

Sounds awful ! Hoping he rallies and the vet is able to work out what the problem is.

thanks so much...hopefully he does

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

OP, my bitch came down with a virus about two/three months and it sounds like your dog has the exact same thing. No one seems to know for sure what it is, but at least twelve other dogs I know got it, all from different areas, so it seems to be airborne. My girl didn't eat for a whole week straight, anytime she did she brought it up and she ended up in the vet's on an IV for three days straight with antibiotics and a liner for the stomach. The other dogs I know of all had to go through the same thing before it cleared up. Might be best to leave her on the IV for a day or two and see how she's going after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Could potentially be Megaesophagus - this is a condition where the dog has an enlarged esophagus and food lodges there instead of going into the stomach, normally being thrown up sometime after a meal. Has your dog shown any signs of aspirational pneumonia (a side effect). What breed is your dog? The bile is another sign of the condition.

Regardless, get your vet to call the Veterinary Hospital in UCD to discuss symptoms and possible diagnosis. It may not be this condition and the only way to find out is through x-rays to determine the size of the esophagus. Btw this is all through the experience of having a dog who had the condition. PM me if you need any more advice.

thanks a million for replies..

Shano- it does sound the same.... hopefully it something like that that can be treated because she so out of character now....hope your dog ok now

henryporter- thanks for all the info.... she is a springer spaniel cross... she has brought up dinner the odd time and been picky about food sometimes but nothing like this..she has never choked on food or anything like that but ill definatly print off the info you so kindly linked and give to vet....

thanks so much...

just wanted to say thanks again for all the help and advice. unfortunatly millie died friday night from kidney failure. thanks for everything. M

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭saleda

shelly86 wrote: »
    just wanted to say thanks again for all the help and advice. unfortunatly millie died friday night from kidney failure. thanks for everything. M

So sorry for your loss. .. so sad. Did the vet have any idea what caused it?

thanks very much. everyone was confused.. vet contacted vet college and they couldnt understand it either... she didnt react to anything in any way. just kept getting weaker. they think it sounded like she could have eaten poison a while back and was fighting it off but when lost appetite it took over and she couldnt fight. we dont have any poison around home.. ironically the very reason being millie.. so could have been from bird droppings...but this may not have been reason either. thanks for your sympathies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh god thats terrible, so sorry for your loss. RIP Millie :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Very sorry for your loss. Poor pup, RIP:(

thanks very much.. and thanks shanao for you earlier help and comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭teachertrixibel

Shelly,

I'm so sorry to hear poor Millie died - Mind yourself at this sad time.
    Take care,
    Trix
    x

thanks very much for your kind words trix...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭odnauq

thanks very much for your kind words trix...
    Millie was still a puppy and her kidneys failed? Could have been poisoning and what do the vets think? So very sorry for your loss.......

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rep8888

I am so sorry to hear that Millie has died and sorry for your loss take care of yourself R.I.P Millie

thank you all so very much for your comments... im guessing a lot of you how hard it is to loose a pet...

odnauq - we dont know why her kidneys failed but it was aided by her lack of eating and nutrition.... vet says poison could be picked up from something as simple bird droppings..to be honest we dont know what killed her..i was all questions before she died but when we found out her kidneys had failed there was no point. she was dying and there was nothing left to say....thanks for your kind words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

hi shelly86 so sorry for your loss x
    went through the same myself earlier this year my little JRT pup passed on from kidney failure.

You did your best for little your little one x

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Waterfordlass

Shelly. I am so sorry to hear about precious Millie. So many of us here know how you are feeling right now. RIP little one.

Hugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I am so sorry to hear that, it is so sad.

sorry i only just saw your comments..havents been online...

thanks so much for your kind comments... its very nice of all of you.
    M

Advertisement