Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dedicated Xbox 360 BF3 Server

Options
  • 03-11-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I know you can rent Dedicated servers for the PC but cant find out if it is possible to rent a server for Xbox, anyone got info on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No dedicated servers for XBOX live, because it's ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ricochet69

is that a fact or are you just pulling that out of your a**?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Wow, both constructive and helpful :rolleyes:

Ricochet69 wrote: »
    I know you can rent Dedicated servers for the PC but cant find out if it is possible to rent a server for Xbox, anyone got info on this?

Thanks

BF3 does run on dedicated servers for XBOX as it is, but what you are talking about is is actually getting a private one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I dont think there are private servers for xbox im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

yes battlefield does run on dedicated servers on the xbox.

but i'm afraid you cant (well as far as i know) you cant rent your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

You know retro, i have alot of respect for your posts on other forums here but this is just breaking boards rule number 1

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Ricochet69 wrote: »

Thanks

Can't rent a server for the xbox, EA are working on improving the performance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Most IRL Clan members have expressed interest in purchasing/renting/leasing a dedicated Xbox server for the community. I'm currently looking into it on their behalf.

You can get one for the PC and it currently runs at around €1,300 per annum. So, if it is possible, it's only realistic for a decent sized community (or a complete fanatic!) to actually have their own server.

I'll keep you posted of my progress on this issue. I'm drafting a letter to both Dice and EA at the moment on the possibility of getting a server for our community or even an Irish server, as opposed to having them based in the UK or mainland Europe. I'll get it sent off over the weekend, so with any luck, I may have a response next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GAAman wrote: »
    You know retro, i have alot of respect for your posts on other forums here but this is just breaking boards rule number 1

I answered the question though didn't I while expressing one of my misgivings about Xbox live, i.e. no private dedicated servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I answered the question though didn't I while expressing one of my misgivings about Xbox live, i.e. no private dedicated servers.

Yes you could say that, if you want to be clever allow me to respond in kind. Another way to describe your post would be you giving an INCORRECT answer and then being borderline trollish.

The OP asked about dedicated servers, BF3 is run on dedicated EA servers however there is no facility to rent server space as of yet. I can imagine it will be possible in the future but for now its not an option. If you want to come off as yet another "I am a pc gamer so i look down on the console gamers" snob keep it to the games forum as speaking for myself, it is not welcome here.

• Advertisement

GAAman wrote: »
    "I am a pc gamer so i look down on the console gamers" snob keep it to the games forum as speaking for myself, it is not welcome here.

Haha I have more consoles than you I'd imagine, definitely not a PC snob. As for renting private dedicated servers on xbox live in the future, don't expect it soon and by soon I mean ever. MS will never open up Xbox Live like that for control reasons but also mostly security reasons. So I wasn't incorrect. And sorry I wasn't being a troll either, it's not my fault people get their knickers in a twist over an opinion. I just don't like the fact that Xbox live has no private dedicated server support. It's my opinion, deal with it.

Most IRL Clan members have expressed interest in purchasing/renting/leasing a dedicated Xbox server for the community. I'm currently looking into it on their behalf.

You can get one for the PC and it currently runs at around €1,300 per annum. So, if it is possible, it's only realistic for a decent sized community (or a complete fanatic!) to actually have their own server.

I'll keep you posted of my progress on this issue. I'm drafting a letter to both Dice and EA at the moment on the possibility of getting a server for our community or even an Irish server, as opposed to having them based in the UK or mainland Europe. I'll get it sent off over the weekend, so with any luck, I may have a response next week.

Hey man thanks for the helpful post!! Ive contacted EA support about this too, but im sure if anyone here has ever contacted them ye all know not to expect much from the robots your talking to. Id love to get my own server for xbox. Please do update it here i really want a dedicated server for xbox.

and btw Retro to be honest just take a look at your post and think if you had someone post that to one of your questions im sure you would agree with the rest of us that it seems like trolling . To be honest i though thats what it was and expected more from a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

a little off topic but which servers do u find better da dice ir ea ones? tryin 2 find good ones to play on

on the xbox? Both are around the same to be honest. The most important thing is the ping, just filter according to region. I know that there have been problems getting kicked mid game and stuff but apparently this is fixed for PC and PS3 and is nearly fixed for Xbox360. I cant remember where i read it but there has been a good few server fix's

http://bf3blog.com/2011/11/dice-seven-ways-battlefield-3-is-improving/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hmmmmmmmmm was thinking some more about this, cant ever see it happen due to the game being tied to xbox live and what that entails on MS and EA sides but i seem to vaguely recall a way around the xbox live part and using a 3rd party client called XLink Kai on your pc. It basically uses the system link function in the game and connects as if using local system link to other users over the internet, basically it fools the xbox into thinking its playing systemlink with other local consoles on the network.

The results would largely be dependent on the connection speeds of the users but in theory at least it could be done.

calex71 wrote: »
    Hmmmmmmmmm was thinking some more about this, cant ever see it happen due to the game being tied to xbox live and what that entails on MS and EA sides but i seem to vaguely recall a way around the xbox live part and using a 3rd party client called XLink Kai on your pc. It basically uses the system link function in the game and connects as if using local system link to other users over the internet, basically it fools the xbox into thinking its playing systemlink with other local consoles on the network.

The results would largely be dependent on the connection speeds of the users but in theory at least it could be done.

Im not sure if it will every happen, but my understanding is that EA have control over all the server that would be allowed to put up, so i dont see why Microsoft would have a problem because EA would administer it. you would be renting servers directly off EA. It would just be EA making more servers with passwords for private and providing some web interface to change level and some basic options. Nothing where you host your own and run whatever code you want. Wishful thinking i guess.

There just doesn't seem to be any real way of getting even platoons all together in BF3. I regularly play with about 8 people and omg it can be such a bitch to try and get us all into the server together ....and on the same team is very hopeful thinking. The server just fill up too fast even if you find an empty one. The squad management when it works only caters for 4 :-(

As regards xLink Kia i have used that before but its largely dependent on your ping with your kia friends (this is an xbox limitation), there isnt usually many people on it from Ireland and also it will only work with games that have system link wont work for xbox live at all.

Thanks for the reply tho dude

Advertisement