Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The XX - Coexist

Options
  • 03-11-2011 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

The xx have finally confirmed an album in the making http://xx-xx.co.uk/
    They will be posting a blog, pictures and updates for album number 2 as confirmed from their facebook. What are you guys thoughts on their next album, will they stay with the same sound, I reckon they will incorporate new instruments. Discuss :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Sorry to drag up a zombie thread but I did a search and I just felt that it fitted best in here Mods close if appropriate.

Anyway the xx have released some new material this week in the form of the lead single from their new album, Coexist out September 10th I think.

I like it. Stays very close to the style they had on their debut which I loved, that dreamy, relaxing, floating away vibe. Very excited for the album now can't wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

The new album stream

dont know why anyone hasnt put it yet

http://coexist.thexx.info/?referrer=19a5112d-3a68-45dc-95fd-9f574447bae2

whats your thoughts, i like most of the tracks but i find myself waiting for something to happen but it doesnt, didnt really like angels ,thought it was pretty poor!! i also think jamie xx's production is perfect and suites the band so well , he doesnt go off an a tangent and ruin it with over doing it with smaples etc. compared to jamie's solo productions etc people used that as a guid line to what the new xx album would be like but it totally was nothing like his sole productions , well apart from the 'i'll take of you' track, that drake just sampled and rapped over it,which gave jamie more exposure. the wait for the album was a bit much for what we got to hear,all their tracks from their first album were all good but there are definitely tracks on the new album that stand out but not all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 13 johnnyf_03

There are traces of brilliance in there but it doesn't really all come together. It's a bit understated even by their standards. I'll give it a few more gos before I pass full judgement but I can't see it reaching the heady heights of the debut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

This is an album that you really need the patience for. The first time I listened to it I was disappointed, but I also kept in mind that the first time I heard their debut I wasn't all that impressed either. On the second play I started to see a bit more potential in it but it still sounded nowhere as good as their debut. On the third play it started to click with me and I started to enjoy it a lot more. There's a bit more variety on this album with a greater range of sounds, moods and dynamics. Despite this the songs can't quite touch the best moments on their debut but on the positive side this is a great effort by them and certainly not a case of difficult second album syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

I loved 'Angels' from the very first listen and Coexsist isn't disappointing at all. Standout track on the album for me is Missing, I feel like everything before it is a build up to it. Least favorite would be Tides. But in all aspects a standout album. Lives up to all expectations and I'm so glad they haven't changed their sound too much, or even at all, since they have such a unique sound.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

They're still The Zzz to me. They could be doing so much more but instead it feels like anticlimax after anticlimax.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Cydoniac wrote: »
    They're still The Zzz to me.

Same here, another very dull record.

The only good song they've ever done imo is the intro off the first album. That's fantastic. Everything else? Not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Same here, another very dull record.

The only good song they've ever done imo is the intro off the first album. That's fantastic. Everything else? Not so much.

I was the same, didn't listen to the album for another few months but fell in love with it this time round. Haven't really listened to the second album, must get on it as I'm going to see them on Wednesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

How come this band get so much hype and exposure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Before this album came out I'd been under the impression it was gonna be a bit dancier. But really it sounds almost exactly the same as the first one. No sense of experimentation at all, which is disappointing. There are no "bad" songs on it but nothing is standing out really either.

Having said that, "Angels" has grown on me a lot since the first time I heard it so maybe the rest of the tracks are growers too? I dunno, after a first listen it just seems like a bunch of tracks left over from the recording of the first album that weren't deemed good enough at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 school_sux

The more I listen to it the more I love it! They were amazing at electric picnic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Not sure about it or them in general, I think it's much better than their first album though. Sunset is my favourite thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Saw them at EP too.

Slow, broody, melodic, no musical virtuosity on display whatsoever (relatively speaking). And yet brilliant and beautiful...to me anyway

They're like the complete antithesis to the cock rock showboating of the 70s and 80s.

I can totally understand how people might find them dull. I like em though.

I remember someone here describing their first album as like the sound of a few kids creeping and mooching around London with each other in the middle of the night which resonated with me.

Its all very understated and I don't think it pretends to be anything its not. Its quite possible there are a thousand bands making music like this but as always someone is lucky enough to surf the wave.

i find myself skipping certain songs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Jeez what a strange album .... I find it drawing me back each time, and liking it more each listen .... some lovely beats and bass throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

For those that were heavy critical of the album, I wonder if they gave it a fair listen. If they did and still don't like it fair enough. Those who liked the XX before have also in some cases slated this album, compared to their last one.

This one is defintely a grower, I wasn't too sure myself at first, and found myself only liking about two songs on it. But after a good few listens, my view has changed completely.

It's much more poignant, much more forlonging than their work before, Romy and Jamie voices blend into each others quite rhymitcally and it really all does fall together rather beautifully. It might not be as standout as xx, but I think it is better for it, there's real emotion pouring through this album, Sunset is my favourite song as well off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

"Try" is my favourite song so far. Love this album :D

still is growing on me but im sometimes im forcing myself to put it on

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

Such a let down Coexist is. Much preferred the previous album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

I completely dismissed The XX up to very recently. I saw an interview on TV recently and liked what they said and liked the clips played of their songs. The interviewer likened them to The Blue Nile and this got me interested. So having given Coexist some attention I think this album is beautiful. Sonically to my ears it sounds blissful. Now maybe people would prefer something more earth shattering or ground breaking, but for me it's a really good album.

Advertisement