Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm looking for a Stihl MS260!

Options
  • 03-11-2011 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

anyone know where i can get my hands on a Stihl MS260? they brought out the MS261 recently which replaced it, but as i am used to the previous model and its been around for years and tried and tested, and is a great saw i want to stick with it. ive been ringing around loads of suppliers, some have tried to locate one but all have failed, i was hoping one of them would have a few lying around from last year but no luck yet, it seems some were sold up until september for definite. Any and all help appreciated. thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Go for the 261, I've one for a few months now and its a great saw.It's used daily and just as good as the 260,the air filter is a vast improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

rddesign wrote: »
    anyone know where i can get my hands on a Stihl MS260? they brought out the MS261 recently which replaced it, but as i am used to the previous model and its been around for years and tried and tested, and is a great saw i want to stick with it. ive been ringing around loads of suppliers, some have tried to locate one but all have failed, i was hoping one of them would have a few lying around from last year but no luck yet, it seems some were sold up until september for definite. Any and all help appreciated. thanks!

We had one that we got just before the MS261 was released and it lay on our shelf for a good while as everyone wanted the new model, but it must have been sold on as there is no sign of it now. The 261 is essentially the same saw though, very similar in balance and as it is the professional range from Stihl it is still made in Germany!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Is there a similar saw ye would recommend over the 261? One thats not much heavier than the 261

Don't think Abbey will ship Stihl chainsaws because of some rule Stihl have against that. Where would be the best place to get one in Ireland?

eth0 wrote: »
    Don't think Abbey will ship Stihl chainsaws because of some rule Stihl have against that. Where would be the best place to get one in Ireland?

Have you asked them ? It is not Stihl policy but it does happen. You could try Northern dealers as well.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    Have you asked them ? It is not Stihl policy but it does happen. You could try Northern dealers as well.

No but if thats the case might chance my arm. Would the MS280-I be any better than the 261?

Personally I would try some local dealers & see if they can get reasonably close to the internet price allowing for shipping. I would pay a bit more to buy locally but past experience has led me to buy on the net.

No but if thats the case might chance my arm. Would the MS280-I be any better than the 261?

http://www.esaleslocal.com/csaws.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

CJhaughey wrote: »

Their delivery rates are very high. Over £40 for a chainsaw :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Their delivery rates are very high. Over £40 for a chainsaw :eek:
    Yes but the saw is 100stg cheaper than the one above, thats still 60pound cheaper after postage.

In the interests of accuracy the saw on the site posted above comes with a 16" bar and chain. For the same bar and chain www.esaleslocal.com are £559.00 inc vat (£465 ex vat) and they are giving a free chain, gallon of chain oil and bottle of two stroke oil worth £35.00 - which brings the price alot closer than the £100 and indeed £60 suggested above.

On a side note, have that company got the saw in stock and do they post Stihl saws across the water...

€60 saving wouldn't be enough for me to buy online & not local. I would be happy to pay 20% more to support a local supplier especially with an item like a chainsaw.

When I have bought online, as I did with a Honda Mower, I saved over 50%.

€60 saving wouldn't be enough for me to buy online & not local. I would be happy to pay 20% more to support a local supplier especially with an item like a chainsaw.

When I have bought online, as I did with a Honda Mower, I saved over 50%.

Usually I'd agree except my local Stihl dealer is a notorious rip off merchant. I won't bother describing the codology he goes on with but he won't go bust any time soon with the rip off tactics he's using

Usually I'd agree except my local Stihl dealer is a notorious rip off merchant. I won't bother describing the codology he goes on with but he won't go bust any time soon with the rip off tactics he's using

My local dealer is a nightmare as well. The problem is that Stihl don't wholesale in Ireland. They have appointed a company who are hopeless. I know someone who complained to them because his local dealer was so bad. They told the dealer, gave the guy's name & the dealer banned him !

Advertisement