Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe areas outside Dublin

Options
  • 03-11-2011 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello! I have a job offer in Dublin and would like to know the safest areas close to dublin or outside. No offense but I would rather skip areas with chavs, scumbags or whatever they are called.

Would appreciate if someone could recommend me places where there are no gangs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

ribcage wrote: »
    Hello! I have a job offer in Dublin and would like to know the safest areas close to dublin or outside. No offense but I would rather skip areas with chavs, scumbags or whatever they are called.

It doesn't matter where you live , they can read you like a book if you are a featherweight , they will get you in Dublin city centre , you can't hide from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Where's the job offer ? what part of dublin ?

srappychimow is talking crap

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

I have a job offer in Dublin .......

Dublin is a big place and you're reading to many tabloid papers!!
    Easier if we knew where you were talking about, rather then having to go through the whole city and surrounding county areas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

To be honest OP, it's not that bad. Sure, there are parts you probably shouldn't move to, but if anyone was to bang outa list of place they percieve as being dodgy, someone else will chime in with "ah no, I've lived there all my life, it's grand". Why don't you say where the job is and what your preferred living arrangements are (renting / buying, on you own / sharing, how many beds, house / apartment, budget) and you'll get more help. Also, you'd probably get more success in the Dublin forum.

Congrats on the job BTW! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ribcage

Thank you, the job is located in kildare. It's just that I read an article that dublin was the most dangerous city in europe and that it's even worse than london. With a population of eight million inhabitants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Thank you, the job is located in kildare. It's just that I read an article that dublin was the most dangerous city in europe and that it's even worse than london. With a population of eight million inhabitants.

Dublin is not in Kildare, and does not have a population of 8,000,000. Do more research!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Stop reading articles!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I'd advise you move to Kildare to be honest OP! I can't help you on where, but why move to Dublin to suffer an hour-long drive every morning and evening, when you could potentially be a ten minute cycle / walk away for work? You're committed to moving, so you might as well move closer to work. You can still come into the city at weekends if you need ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Hope you werent offered a job as a cartographer! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

My 8yr old niece has been living in dublin with no issues from your roaming gangs of rapists and murderers, as has my 90yr old gran. But you're probably better off staying the green side of the m50 if your that worried about us looking the wrong way at you.

Also dublin is the safest place in the country to live per capita.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

ElleEm wrote: »
    Dublin is not in Kildare, and does not have a population of 8,000,000. Do more research!

But London has 8 million inhabitants. Maybe that was what the OP was on about, that Dublin is seen to be more dangerous than a city with 8 million inhabitants.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Oh this I've gotta read! I seem to remember London having a bit of a disturbance a couple of months back...

london-riots.jpg

Seriously though, it depends on what part of Kildare you are working in. If it is Leixlip or Maynooth then it is on the train line and if you wanted to live in Dublin county then Coolmine, Castleknock or Clonsilla are pretty safe places to live, all along the train line.

Dovies wrote: »
    Stop reading articles!!

So it's not true when there are reported gang shootings and murders in the irishtimes?

I have never lived in a big city like dublin before and prefer saftey. I serached for leixlip on youtube and the first thing I see is two guys from a gang fighting eachother.

Would not like to be stabbed while on my way to the store or to the work.

Dovies wrote: »
    Stop reading articles!!
    I have never lived in a big city like dublin before and prefer saftey. I serached for leixlip on youtube and the first thing I see is two guys from a gang fighting eachother.

Would not like to be stabbed while on my way to the store or to the work.
    finding it very hard not to call you a troll, so instead i will just tell you the story of a friend of mine whos house was burgled.. And he lives 10 miles to the nearest village.. So thats countryside and towns/cities out.

Nowhere to run.

finding it very hard not to call you a troll, so instead i will just tell you the story of a friend of mine whos house was burgled.. And he lives 10 miles to the nearest village.. So thats countryside and towns/cities out.

Nowhere to run.

But burglary is not the same as being stabbed or shot at. Still the crime rate in dublin is very high.

Can anyone tell me a little bit more about Castleknock or Coolmine?
    Saftey, stores, activites etc

But burglary is not the same as being stabbed or shot at.
    Could be if you confront them..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

But burglary is not the same as being stabbed or shot at. Still the crime rate in dublin is very high.

Can anyone tell me a little bit more about Castleknock or Coolmine?
    Saftey, stores, activites etc

lived in castleknock a number of years ago - decent enough place but like almost every town in Ireland it always has groups of teenagers floating around the place - if they are scummy or not depends on the group really.

Coolmine ...my only experience of coolmine was when I left my car overnight in Coolmine Train Station - to travel into Dublin and go out afterwards ..... car was broken into and everything stolen (about 15-20K worth of camera equipment) ...my own fault for leaving it in the car in the first place ...in the boot, silly mistake by me.

if you were offered a job in Kildare I would say go live near work....its better to have a 5 min walk to work and live in a country town than having to commute to work and home every day (I commute about an hour sometimes an hour and a half - depending on traffic- each direction)....I live in Meath and commute to Dublin City Centre.

I have lived in many parts of Dublin and never felt in danger - as long as you are not a trouble maker they usually wont start on you - its usually other gang members that are targetted/shot/stabbed ...very rare that its an ordinary member of the public (I know it has happened)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

Unless your planning on moving into a council estate like Moyross there is a few, or planning on stepping in on somebody elses turf by selling drugs. I recon you`ll be fine in most areas.

Ive seen more fights on nights out in Lexlip and Maynooth tho, I can`t recall one from the city centre although I find it hard to recall any nights out there.

Good luck and be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Anyone else thinking Troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thank you, the job is located in kildare.
    Come to Leixlip :D Situated on the Dublin Bus route so you can get the nightlink after drinking late at the weekend, and no noticeable gangs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Sounds like the job is in Intel or HP.

Come to Leixlip. Doing a search on You Tube to get a feel for a place is like taking Wikipedia as gospel truth.

Spend a weekend in one of the Hotels, there are plenty.
    Have a few pints on the pubs, there are plenty.

You'll see that the vast majority of people who are out are just out to enjoy themselves.

In terms of clubs etc there are Athletics clubs, football clubs, GAA clubs.

In fairness you sound like you've had a very sheltered life if you are believing everything you read in the papers applies to the entire city and surroundings

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This isn't a work/jobs question - try one of the regional forums.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement