Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Gloves Dublin

Options
  • 03-11-2011 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭

Where's the best place in Dublin to go in and try on a few different kinds of winter gloves? Budget might stretch to the cold-weather version of the Knox handroid gloves but don't know if there's a Dublin stockist and want to try before I buy as I'm not sure regarding size and I don't like to wear bulky gloves at all. Anything else to consider, budget maybe €120?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Ski-ing gloves..TKMaxx...seriously....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you have a problem with bulky gloves maybe a set of bar muffs would better suit you?
    Sure they are funny looking but they make winter riding a lot more pleasant and don't have the problems that heated grips do with batteries being flattened etc.
    Plus they are relatively cheap.:D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Richa have a new range of gloves this winter. In that kind of price range, and they are not bulky, and goretex lined. In Dublin I would give Megabikes in Wexford Street a shout, I know he does Richa, should have the new stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

Sids Not wrote: »
    Ski-ing gloves..TKMaxx...seriously....;)

Would not be for me. No protection, I would prefer to be cold that have road rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Alkers

Thanks for the replies, will check out Megabikes tomorrow hopefully.
    I already have heated grips but the outside of my hands still get cold and my current gloves are about three years old. Skiing gloves are a no-no for me, they are way to bulky and it would be game over in an off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I'm just wearing another pair of wool gloves inside my regular gloves. Keeps me very warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I find that you can't beat Alpinestars, Megabikes have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

bigjoe wrote: »
    Would not be for me. No protection, I would prefer to be cold that have road rash.

Cold hands dont work so well........a lot of skiing gloves have kevlar/leather in them...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

Oryx wrote: »
    Richa have a new range of gloves this winter. In that kind of price range, and they are not bulky, and goretex lined. In Dublin I would give Megabikes in Wexford Street a shout, I know he does Richa, should have the new stuff.

Ah nice one for that info!
    I tried many pairs of winter gloves and all were too bulky for me.
    I will have to check out the new Richa ones and see how they fit.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Budget might stretch to the cold-weather version of the Knox handroid gloves

I have a pair of them, Got them on sale last year. I find them pretty bulky. Now that the weather has started to get cold again I've gone back to wearing an older pair of Alpinestars goretex gloves I have. I find them more comfortable than the Knox ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Get coldkillers for your existing gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

These http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-insulated-elkskin-gauntlet-gloves.html are the best winter gloves I've worn. Even fingertips say warm and not at all bulky. Only available from the US unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

Canaboid wrote: »
    These http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-insulated-elkskin-gauntlet-gloves.html are the best winter gloves I've worn. Even fingertips say warm and not at all bulky. Only available from the US unfortunately.

Sure ya could always use shopusa to get them here if you really want a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks for the replies, will check out Megabikes tomorrow hopefully.
    I already have heated grips but the outside of my hands still get cold and my current gloves are about three years old. Skiing gloves are a no-no for me, they are way to bulky and it would be game over in an off!

You can get a set of Brush guards to do the trick. If you get one that connects to the bar end also then you'll be toasty.

Muff's aren't a good idea as they tend to push the levers back when travelling at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Those brush guards aren't that warm, I have the Acerbis ones with the optional spoiler and they break the wind but aren't that warm.
    I wouldn't write off muffs that quick, I fitted some Held ones and I fixed them to the end of the bar, they don't push the lever back at 110+kph.
    Muffs made a huge difference to comfort, you can use a lighter glove and still be comfortable.
    But they don't look cool:D

Muffs are out of the question guys! I'm heading into Megabikes tomorrow for a look, might spin out to bikeworld if I don't have much joy there. Have got good gear at great prices in Cotters once or twice but never was impressed with the glove selection there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Those brush guards aren't that warm, I have the Acerbis ones with the optional spoiler and they break the wind but aren't that warm.
    The OP has heated grips, once they get their hands out of the wind they'll be toasty.
    I wouldn't write off muffs that quick, I fitted some Held ones and I fixed them to the end of the bar, they don't push the lever back at 110+kph.
    Muffs made a huge difference to comfort, you can use a lighter glove and still be comfortable.
    But they don't look cool:D

There are other (slight) risks when ridding in muffs then just getting levers pushed back, but mostly they don't look good. A brush guard and heated grips will look neater and you'd be able to wear lighter gloves.

So I was in at Megabikes today. Ended up going with http://www.megabikes.ie/product_info.php?inc=&parent_id=499&sub_category=515&product_id=1276&menu= - happy enough. Gloves are really warm so I had sweaty hands riding home and I reckon they need to be broken in a bit to get the fit 100%. For some reason though they keep all the gloves behind the counter which really makes browsing awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

So I was in at Megabikes today. Ended up going with http://www.megabikes.ie/product_info.php?inc=&parent_id=499&sub_category=515&product_id=1276&menu= - happy enough. Gloves are really warm so I had sweaty hands riding home and I reckon they need to be broken in a bit to get the fit 100%. For some reason though they keep all the gloves behind the counter which really makes browsing awkward.

I have the Alpinestar Jetroads and they are brilliant. Never let any rain in and are in great nick for 3 year old gloves. You won't go wrong with your ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I have the Alpinestar Jetroads and they are brilliant. Never let any rain in and are in great nick for 3 year old gloves. You won't go wrong with your ones.

I have the Jet Road too (about 4 years) and they're still as warm and comfotable as the day I bought them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tried a pair of Jet Roads (and a few others) recently in Bikeworld, unfortunately the largest size available still wasn't long enough in the fingers :(

Ended up with a pair of waterproof XXL Akitos for 65 euro, they have armour, aren't the warmest but I have heated grips so that's not a concern for me. I wear my Alpinestars summer gloves on dry days in winter unless it's close to freezing, the feel is just so much better and the protection is better too. They're useless in the rain though!

Even the XXL Akitos aren't quite as long as I'd like in the fingers!

They did stand up very well in the huge downpour a couple of weeks ago, was half an hour before they started letting in, and that was in rain that was like having a hose turned on you. I would expect them to hold out in normal rain.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement